Saturday 23 February 2019

Dublin SHC: Kilmacud make hard work of in Parnells victory

Wasteful Crokes ease home despite sloppy performance

Jude Sweeney, Kilmacud Crokes, in action against Carl Sammon, Parnells, who loses his hurley.
Jude Sweeney, Kilmacud Crokes, in action against Carl Sammon, Parnells, who loses his hurley.

Kilmacud Crokes registered their second successive win when eventually accounting for Parnells by a 15-point margin in their Dublin Senior Hurling Championship Group 4 encounter at Parnell Park last night.

In doing so, the holders all but secured their advancement to the quarter-finals although there were plenty of areas that need improvement if Crokes are to repeat their successful campaign of twelve months ago.

The concession of a sloppy goal early on was not a feature of last year's title charge and some of the forward play lacked the precision and sureness of touch normally associated with Ollie Baker's team.

After Caolán Conway opened the scoring in the first minute, the evening deteriorated for the Dublin U21 player as he suffered a leg injury and was replaced by Rob O'Loughlin.

Whether that realignment helped create indecision in the Crokes defence is arguable but some hesitant defending allowed Stephen Duffy to gather Leigh Fogarty's pass in the 6th minute before kicking home from close range.

Gradually, the county champions began to find their range with points from play by Jude Sweeney and Oisin O'Rorke and the latter added two frees in quick succession to inch Kilmacud 0-5 to 1-1 ahead 14 minutes.

O'Rorke added two more scores as the half progressed but after Sweeney was hauled down inside the large square, O'Rorke proved fallible from the resultant penalty with a low shot that veered just wide of Jamie Denniffe's left-hand upright.

Far from bowing to the anticipated onslaught, Parnells finished half the half impressively with Colm McDonald landing a glorious sideline cut and although Barry O'Rorke chipped in with a brace of points towards the end of the half, Kilmacud's lead was trimmed to 0-11 to 1-4 at the interval after an excellent point by Aaron Hurley.

Crokes regained a degree of control early in the second-half thanks to points from Barry Mulligan and substitute Barra Ó Leidhin with Cian Mac Gabhann stretching that advantage even further with a fine score from distance in the 39th minute.

The procession towards the Church End continued although a number of poor wides undermined Crokes' territorial supremacy with Barry O'Rorke ending a sloppy passage of play with his third point of the night four minutes later.

It took Parnells 16 minutes to open their account in the second-half through a McDonald free but this proved insufficient in terms of reeling in their dominant opponents. The wides continued to rack up for Crokes but they proved immaterial as they eased home by 15n points.

Dublin SHC: Kilmacud Crokes 0-24 Parnell's 1-6

Scorers - Kilmacud Crokes: O O'Rorke 0-9 (0-7f), B O'Rorke 0-4, J Sweeney, B Mulligan 0-3 each, D Kelly 0-2, C Conway, C Mac Gabhann, B Ó Leidhin apiece. Parnells: C McDonald 0-5 (0-4f, 0-1 sideline), S Duffy 1-0, A Hurley 0-1.

Kilmacud Crokes: M Collins; R Walsh, J Clinton, N Corcoran; C Mac Gabhann, J Doughan, B O'Carroll; B Mulligan, D Kelly; R O'Carroll, R O'Dwyer, J Sweeney; O O'Rorke, C Conway, B O'Rorke. Subs: R O'Loughlin for Conway (5), B Ó Leidhin for O'Loughlin (half-time).

Parnells: J Denniffe; C Sammon; P Reilly, G George; R Mills, S Stack, S George; S Cunningham, A Jameson; K Mulligan, P Dunne, C McDonald; S Duffy, A Hurley, L Fogarty. Subs: D Burke for Dunne (37), J Burr for G George (51), D McCarthy for Mulligan (53), P Lawlor for Sammon (55).

Ref: Danny Harrington (St Sylvester's)


Promoted articles

Entertainment News