herald

Sunday 17 December 2017

DALY OUT

DUBLIN are on the hunt for a new senior hurling manager after Anthony Daly stepped down from the position last night following six years in the charge.

The Clare man informed the county board yesterday that he would not be seeking an extension to his tenure.

Daly led Dublin to their first League title since 1939 in 2011 and last year, a first Leinster Championship since 1961. Under his watch, Dublin also played in two All-Ireland semi-finals.

This season, however, featured the twin lows of a 12-point defeat to Kilkenny in the Leinster final and the 13-point loss to Tipperary in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

In a statement confirming Daly's departure, the Dublin county board said that Daly's "loyalty to the cause, his expertise, his charisma and drive were key factors as Dublin climbed back up the rankings and moved forward from being one of the also-rans."

Daly thanked the Dublin players but felt it was time to end his tenure.

He said: "Six years is a long voyage but they flew by because they were so enjoyable and the lads were so committed."

"I just wanted to give myself as much time to make sure that I was doing the right thing, and just to sound the lads out.

"There's a certain lifespan in everything and I think it's the best move for everybody, for players and maybe management for a fresh approach to come in."

Dublin chairman Andy Kettle said today that, ideally, an appointment would be made by the time the Dublin SHC enters the knock-out stages.

Nicky English and Liam Sheedy - both residents in Dublin - have been linked with the job, although there is no indication yet that either will have an interest.

3SEE PAGES 72

Promoted articles

Entertainment News