| 8.5°C Dublin

Crokes loosen Larriers' grip

0-7 Kilmacud Crokes 1-17 O'Toole's 0-7 (Dublin SHC)


EASY WIN: Kilmacud Crokes’ Oisín O’Rorke. Photo: Daire Brennan/Sportsfile

EASY WIN: Kilmacud Crokes’ Oisín O’Rorke. Photo: Daire Brennan/Sportsfile


EASY WIN: Kilmacud Crokes’ Oisín O’Rorke. Photo: Daire Brennan/Sportsfile

Kilmacud Crokes got their Dublin Senior 'A' Hurling Championship campaign back on track after accounting for O'Toole's by thirteen points at Parnell Park last night.

The beaten finalists over the past three years struggled in their opening group match, requiring an injury-time goal to salvage a draw against Na Fianna but there was no such drama last night as they largely controlled matters in the second half despite the 16th minute dismissal of full-back Bill O'Carroll.

Despite missing a number of key personnel, the Larriers managed to open the scoring in the 4th minute through a fine point on the turn by Ryan Bergin with Crokes levelling three minutes later through Lorcan McMullen.


The returning Oisín O'Rorke was errant with a number of presentable chances early on but eventually found his radar to edge Kilmacud in front by the 11th minute but this was far from exemplary play from the favourites as they continued to make fundamental errors.

Andrew Morris restored parity after O'Carroll saw red following an altercation with Bergin but the stylish McMullen restored Kilmacud's lead with a quality point largely out of kilter with the sub-standard fare.

Fionn Ó Ceallaigh began to influence the game as he scored a brace of points in quick succession as Crokes began to find their stride with McMullen landing his third score of the half in the 26th minute.

The half ended with David Concarr and O'Rorke trading points as Kilmacud entered the break with a four point (0-7 to 0-3) advantage.

An Mark Grogan point within thirty seconds of the restart extended Kilmacud's lead before Ó Ceallaigh matched McMullen's personal tally after a free-flowing move involving Cian Mac Gabhann, Ryan O'Dwyer and Grogan.

A more clinical Crokes effectively settled the issue as O'Rorke rifled high past Brendan McLoughlin in the 37th minute with Ronan Hayes adding two quick-fire points soon after.

The contest petered out from that point with Kilmacud adding to their tally thanks to points from Alex Considine and Hayes while substitutes Ross O'Carroll and Shane Veale also chipped in with scores as the half progressed.

True to their tradition, the Larriers kept battling until the final whistle and were rewarded for their efforts through late points from play by Morris and Bergin, points that ensured a more favourable complexion on the scoreboard by full-time.

Scorers - Kilmacud Crokes: O O'Rorke 1-2 (0-2f), R Hayes (2f), L McMullen, F Ó Ceallaigh 0-3 each, F Whitely, M Grogan, A Considine, C Conway, R O'Carroll, S Veale 0-1 each. O'Toole's: A Morris 0-4 (0-3f), R Bergin 0-2, D Concarr 0-1.

Kilmacud Crokes: M Collins; D Butler, B O'Carroll, C O'Shea; C Conway, C Mac Gabhann, S Leahy; L McMullen, F Whitely; A Considine, R O'Dwyer, M Grogan; O O'Rorke, R Hayes, F Ó Ceallaigh. Subs: R O'Carroll for Leahy (half-time), S McGrath for O'Rorke (38), S Veale for O'Dwyer (46), R Smith for Butler (58).

O'Toole's: B McLoughlin; R Walker, C McStay, G Dinh; A Lynch, E Darcy, C Carton; A Morris, P Carton; S O'Keeffe, P Bradshaw, D Concarr; D Webster, R Bergin, C Wilson. Subs: M Carton for McStay (23), C Gethings for Concarr (43), M Cunningham for Bradshaw (43), S Brennan for O'Keeffe (56).

Ref: D Burnett (Craobh Chiaráin)