Thursday 23 November 2017

Classy cuala end long wait as Treacy fires

Dublin SHC final: Cuala 3-14 St Jude's 0-13

David Treacy, Cuala, in action against Danny Sutcliffe, St Jude's
David Treacy, Cuala, in action against Danny Sutcliffe, St Jude's
Seán Treacy, Cuala, in action against Joe McManus, St Jude's

Goals prove the difference as Dalkey men secure first SHC title since 1994

Cuala confirmed their favourites tag as two goals from Seán Treacy propelled them to a comfortable ten point victory over St Jude's in their Dublin Senior Hurling Championship final at Parnell Park last Saturday afternoon.

That margin of victory was slightly harsh on the vanquished St Jude's team but their was a greater control and finesse in Cuala's play over the hour and their ability to create and accept goal chances that came their way proved a marked difference between the sides.

There was very little between the teams in the opening quarter with St Jude's settling well through points from Wayne Hutchinson, Paul Maguire and Fionn Ó Riain Broin but Cuala's pace down the middle, where Colm Cronin was hugely influential, began to reap dividends and they finally found the net in the 19th minute as Treacy improvised an audacious effort from close range after Mark Schutte was initially blocked.

Schutte was kept relatively quiet throughout with Eoin McLoughlin and Ger McManus defending heroically for St Jude's and points by Joey McManus and Ronan Joyce trimmed Cuala's lead to three points (1-7 to 0-7) by the break.

Hopes of a St Jude's comeback were enhanced within two minutes of the restart following points by Danny Sutcliffe and Jesse Kennedy but their momentum was punctured dramatically in the 34th minute as Schutte brushed McLoughlin aside before placing Cronin through for a smartly-taken goal.

With Cuala presenting an impregnable defence as Cian O'Callaghan, Oisin Gough and Sean Moran excelled, the lifeline of a goal eluded St Jude's but they kept in touching distance thanks to fine scores from Rob Hardy and Tom Devlin.

Those scores proved of little value however by the 48th minute as Treacy punished St Jude's from a sloppy puck-out to crash home past Martin Hartnett with Cronin delivering the final pass.

Their frustrations were evident in the dismissal of Joey McManus a minute later with Darragh O'Connell and David Treacy compounding their misery with further scores for Cuala.

Sutcliffe added a late consolation brace for St Jude's but Cronin and O'Connell added late gloss to the final scoreline as Cuala advanced to a provincial meeting with Coolderry next Sunday in confident mood.

Scorers- Cuala: S Treacy 2-1, D Treacy 0-7 (0-5f, 0-1 '65', 0-1 sideline), C Cronin 1-2, D O'Connell 0-3, M Schutte 0-1. St Jude's: F Ó Riain Broin (3f), D Sutcliffe 0-3 each, W Hutchinson (f), R Hardy, P Maguire, J Kennedy, R Joyce, J McManus, T Devlin 0-1 each.

Cuala: S Brennan; R Tierney, C O'Callaghan, S Timlin; S Stapleton, O Gough, S Moran; J Malone, D O'Connell; C Waldron, C Cronin, N Kenny; D Treacy, M Schutte, S Treacy. Subs: C Sheanon for Kenny (44), B Connolly for Waldron (53), B Browne for Timlin (60).

St Jude's: M Hartnett; E McLoughlin, G McManus, C Mangan; C Ó Riain Broin, W Hutchinson, R Hardy; N Mangan, P Maguire; R Joyce, D Sutcliffe, J Kennedy; J McManus, T Devlin, F Ó Riain Broin Subs: A O'Beirne for C Ó Riain Broin (36), J Ryan for N Mangan (43), S Larkin for Devlin (47), A McGovern for F Ó Riain Broin (57).

Referee: Anton Keating (Setanta)

Related Content

Promoted articles

Entertainment News