Tuesday 12 December 2017

Boden suffer Crokes' Rath

A DRAMATIC, last-gasp goal from Paddy Rath helped Kilmacud Crokes claim a precious one-point win over local rivals Ballyboden St Enda's in their Dublin Junior 'A' Hurling Championship quarter-final at Silver Park last Saturday evening.


With Crokes seemingly exiting the championship as they trailed by two points deep into injury time, a low delivery from substitute Jonathan Hayes caused consternation in the Boden defence, and after Richie Power had been denied, Rath was on hand to sweep home, prompting jubilant scenes on the home sideline.

It was a bitter blow for the visitors to take, given that they produced the more composed and accomplished hurling in the second-half.

There was a surprising lack of spark for the majority of the game although Rath handed his side the perfect start as he cut inside from the right before applying a clinical finish across Ronan Sharkey for a third-minute goal.

Boden had a goal chance of their own within a minute but the impressive Jonathan O'Driscoll blazed over from close range with the goal at his mercy as both defences took time to settle in the early jousts.

Despite Kilmacud enjoying a greater degree of possession, with midfielder Shane O'Rorke superb in the first half, Crokes were guilty of over-elaboration, spurning numerous point chances.

In contrast, their opponents were far more economical from limited possession and they managed to draw level by the ninth minute thanks to points from Aidan Dundon and the lively Declan Keating.

The tightness of the contest was maintained with O'Driscoll and Donnacha Ó Murchú enjoying an absorbing battle in the corner as O'Rorke regained his side's advantage with an excellent point in the 13th minute.

Dundon and Keating replied for Boden to eke out a narrow lead by the 18th minute for the visitors but O'Rorke's influence allowed Crokes to restore their ascendancy through a brace of fine points by the roving Kieran McIntyre.

It was at this stage that Crokes were at their most fluent and they pushed further clear after Dara Ó Gallachóir and the excellent Peter Herlihy landed sublime points.

Having been held scoreless for 13 minutes, it was crucial that St Enda's should end their barren run and O'Driscoll struck a glorious point in injury time to trim his side's deficit to just two points (1-5 to 0-6) by the interval.

The third quarter was a sloppy and disappointing affair with both Power and Dundon dominating the scoring from placed balls before Keating took a pass from substitute Eoin McKenna to register the first score from play of the second half in the 49th minute.

The standard improved with Keating and Ó Gallachóir trading scores and it appeared that the visitors had done enough when prominent sub Lorcán Mullany and midfielder Niall Keegan shared four points from play, reflecting their control of affairs in the final quarter.

However, local derbies can often provide a sting in the tail and Power's bravery when attempting to collect Hayes' pass was rewarded as Rath struck.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News