Monday 27 January 2020

Boden progress as 'Boughal fall

Leinster club SFC/IFC

Ballyboughal captain Richie Downey and team celebrate winning the Dublin IFC title
Ballyboughal captain Richie Downey and team celebrate winning the Dublin IFC title

There were contrasting fortunes for Dublin's representatives in the provincial club football championships last weekend with Ballyboden St Enda's and Ballyboughal experiencing the different emotions that knock-out football prompts.

On Sunday afternoon, Ballyboden were forced to dig deep before overcoming Newtown Blues by 1-11 to 0-5 in their Leinster Senior Club Football Championship quarter-final while Ballyboughal were not so fortunate as they suffered a surprise reverse to Mullinavat in their Intermediate equivalent.

The exertions over the past couple of weeks within the county certainly had an effect on both teams as they failed to show anything close to their potential in the opening-half of both games.

Fortunately, from a Boden perspective, the experience of playing at this level helped them to address matters at half-time and despite suffering the handicap of Cathal Flaherty's dismissal close to the break, they were able to pull away from their limited opponents upon the restart, being able to call upon the likes of Conal Keaney and Michael Darragh Macauley as the contest evolved.

Their habit of finishing games on the front foot was once again in evidence with Collie Basquel's late goal a fitting conclusion to an improved second-half showing.

Their reward is a two-week break with another away trip awaiting them on Sunday week as they travel to Cusack Park, Mullingar to take on Westmeath champions Garrycastle.

Meanwhile, on Saturday afternoon, Ballyboughal's hopes of adding a Leinster title to their Dublin Intermediate Championship were undone as they succumbed by 3-11 to 2-11 to Kilkenny champions Mullinavat in Thomastown.

A terrible start proved their undoing as they conceded three first-half goals to trail by 3-7 to 0-3 at half-time with Boughal architects of their own downfall as their needless errors led to all three goals.

The North County side were far more cohesive in the second-half and placed concerted pressure of the Mullinavat defence.

This resulted in goals from Matthew Farrell and Keith Lynch but their contributions and eight points from Gerry Seaver proved insufficient by the final whistle as they fell by three points.

"We gave it a good lash in the second-half and if we had five more minutes, we could well have won," said Seaver.

"We just didn't start well and gifted them their chances.

"The hangover from winning the Intermediate Championship the previous week probably didn't help and an extra week in terms of preparations definitely would have helped.

"However, they are all excuses and the better team won on the day.

"We let them build in confidence early on and before we knew it, we were fourteen or fifteen points down.

"While it was disappointing to lose on Saturday, when we look at the year in total, we can be pleased with what we have done.

"Overall, we achieved what we set out to do, winning the Dublin intermediate Championship and securing our status in Division 2 of the league," added Seaver.

There was further disappointment for another Dublin representative in the Leinster Junior Club Football Championship as Craobh Chiaráin succumbed to Wexford outfit Rathgarogue-Cushinstown by 0-11 to 0-6 in New Ross on Saturday afternoon.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News