| 13.8°C Dublin

Blues progress after UCD withdraw from Walsh Cup

UCD have been forced to withdraw from the Walsh Cup following last Friday night's postponement of their scheduled quarter-final clash with Dublin's hurlers.

It means that Anthony Daly's men will progress to play Galway in the semi-final, most likely next Saturday at 2.0 in Parnell Park.

The Belfield college, who had beaten Laois in their preliminary round clash a week previous, had been set to face Daly's men on Friday night when a prolonged deluge of rainfall forced its cancellation, just 45 minutes shy of throw-in.

With midweek the only potential window for a re-fixture and UCD scheduled to play LIT on Thursday in their Fitzgibbon Cup opener, Nicky English's charges were left with no other option than to pull out of the competition altogether.

Leinster Council have yet to announce a date or time for Dublin's semi-final with Galway, although it is expected to confirm that it will go ahead on Saturday in Parnell Park on the same day as the Dublin footballers take on Cork in the first night of the Spring Series.

Of major significance for Daly over the weekend however, was the return to action of David Treacy, who scored 1-1 for DIT in their big win over Westmeath in the Walsh Shield yesterday. The Cuala sharpshooter hasn't played since suffering an injury scare to his knee more than a month ago but along with fellow Dublin panelists Finn McGarry and Conor McCormack lined out for DIT in Mullingar.


For their part, Galway eased into competitive action for the first time since their All-Ireland final replay defeat last September with a 2-15 to 1-9 win over Carlow in Dr Cullen Park, leading from start to finish in a commanding display by a strong and experienced line-up.

Joe Canning helped himself to 1-7, his 10th-minute penalty helping Galway into an early lead and he set up his Portumna colleague Damien Hayes to fire a second goal with just 10 minutes remaining to put Galway out of sight.

In the other Walsh Cup semi-final, Wexford will play Kilkenny in Wexford Park after both recorded victories over the weekend.

Liam Dunne's men beat Offaly 1-24 to 1-15 in Blackwater, with teenager Gary Moore bagging a dozen points (0-3f) for the second week running while a Richie Mulrooney-managed Kilkenny selection, comprising mostly under-21 players, beat NUIG by two points, 0-17 to 0-15 on Saturday.