herald

Friday 15 December 2017

Anthony Nash: talk is cheap on Cork underage malaise

Cork captain Anthony Nash
Cork captain Anthony Nash

ANTHONY NASH says he was "disappointed" with the criticism of his Cork team in the aftermath of last year's All-Ireland semi-final loss to Tipperary.

Referring only to "a few lads that we would have played with," Nash (pictured) insisted "it's easy to criticise".

"I was disappointed with (that). Because I would have togged out beside them in the dressing room," Nash explained.

"I hope when I retire that I won't criticise players that have played."

Easily the most high profile critique was that of Donal Óg Cusack, whom Nash replaced as Cork's first choice goalkeeper, on The Sunday Game.

Though his cutting comments were mostly aimed at the Rebel county board, their - in Cusack's opinion - ostentatious plans to rebuild Páirc Uí Chaoimh, despite having no centre of excellence and an unacceptably small number of full-time underage coaches.

"Look, Jimmy (Barry Murphy) is fantastic and we wouldn't be where we are only for him," Nash argued.

"We've made three All-Ireland semi-finals, one All-Ireland final in the last three years so obviously the talent is there.

challenge

"Have we been successful underage? No we haven't.

"Would be like to be more successful? Of course we would. But have we a strong enough panel to (a) challenge for a league and (b) challenge for an All-Ireland?

"Yes we do. So something has to be working down there.

"We would like to be winning an All-Ireland minors, but if you look at the minors they lost to Limerick by a point last year.

"People are allowed to say what they want and if that's the worst thing said about us, we'll be okay," Nash added.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News