herald

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Duffy has done well, says Moyes

DAVID MOYES has praised Ireland U21 cap Shane Duffy for the ease with which he has stepped up to the demands of the Premier League.

The 20-year-old made his third appearance of the season for the Toffees in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers, but Moyes is very happy with the form of the defender.

"Duffy has played really well in the games," Moyes said.

"He has been steady and looked mature in the games he has played. It is not easy for a young centre-half to play in the Premier League and we have tried to keep his game steady and simple and he has done well."

Meanwhile, Martin O'Neill has told another Derry native, winger James McClean, to nail down the left wing slot in the Sunderland side.

Former Derry city man McClean put in another good display in Sunderland's weekend win over Swansea City, his seventh Premier League game of the season, and O'Neill is eager to see McClean establish himself in the team.

"He has a place in the side now and he can go on and make it his own. I've been delighted with him," said O'Neill.

"He has come in and given us a big lift. He has brought enthusiasm and a freshness to the team, as well as a lot of ability down the left-hand side.

"At the very worst, he has made sure that there is no need to rush out and bring someone in to play in that position."



Butler seeks new master

FORMER Ireland international Thomas Butler is on the lookout for a new club after leaving Premier League side Swansea City over the weekend.

Butler, 30, has been out of action for over 18 months due to injury, but the Dubliner and Swansea came to an agreement which will allow him to tear up his contract and move on. Butler had failed to make an appearance for the Welsh side this season in the Premier League.

The former Sunderland man joined Swansea from Hartlepool in 2006 and made 126 league appearances for the club, but in recent times he was cursed by injury and hasn't played a first team game since April 2010. He was capped twice at senior level in 2002.



Keltie move is written off

ENGLISH midfielder Clark Keltie has lost out on a contract with Cork City, just after he was found guilty of a driving offence in the UK.

Two weeks ago Cork confirmed that the 28-year-old, who had been on trial with the club last year, had signed a contract.

But yesterday Cork City issued a statement which said: "Clark Keltie's contract with Cork City Football Club has been cancelled by mutual consent for personal reasons."

It emerged over the weekend that Keltie had last week been banned from driving for six months and fined £100 by a court in England in relation to a motoring incident last May.



Kelly snapped up by Pat's

ST PATRICK'S Athletic have made another move on the domestic transfer market by signing Bray Wanderers forward Jake Kelly.

The striker had been linked with a move abroad as clubs such as Bradford City and Aberdeen had inquired about taking him on trial.

But Kelly, who scored seven goals for Bray last season and was heavily linked with a move to Shamrock Rovers, has opted to stay closer to home and will join Liam Buckley's new-look side at Richmond Park next season. Kelly is the 13th close season signing by Buckley.

Meanwhile, former Bray man Pat Kavanagh could be on his way to Shelbourne. Kavanagh had been out of football since leaving Shamrock Rovers before the end of last season but could now be in the red shirt of Shels next term.

Compiled by Aidan Fitzmaurice

Promoted articles

Entertainment News