Thursday 14 December 2017

dublin denied by cork's late burst

THE Cork team bus pulled out of Parnell Park at 4.30 last Sunday afternoon.

Home to the Banks of their own lovely Lee with the two National League Division 1 points. 1-13 to 1-8.

The last time they were in the capital, they left with the O'Duffy Cup.

And it was a late sprint that took them over the line here. Five unanswered points in the last 15 minutes.

But on the day that was in it, Dublin had given Cork the father and mother of a battle.

The hosts showed impressive energy and desire.

Time and again, a Cork girl in possession was surrounded by home security. Their defenders weren't allowed to stroll around St Stephen's Green admiring the daffodils.

With two wins from two, Dublin didn't lack confidence. Beating Cork

would have been some three-card trick.

It was raw at HQ, but there was a tidy crowd in the stand.

Seamus Massey was on PA. A neat programme was produced. It featured the strong connections between the counties.

Dublin had the breeze that blew into the church end. They led at the tea, 0-6 to 0-4.

Áine Fanning came within inches of a goal five minutes from the break.

Cork had the perfect start to the second half. A goal within the opening two minutes.

Orla Cotter's free dropped out of the grey sky and met heavy traffic in front of the Dublin kitchen before tumbling over the threshold.

But two minutes later, Dublin had a goal of their own when Ali Twomey's 45 was tucked in by Siobhan Kehoe.

It was the ideal response from the Dubs. It showed character.

But Cork were growing more into the match.

Points from Julia White and Aisling Thompson made it 1-6 apiece.

Ali Twomey's fifth free edged Dublin ahead before two Katriona Mackey strikes gave Cork the advantage.

A brilliant point from Emma Flanagan tied it up for the last time on 44 minutes.

Cork then showed all their guile as they upped the intensity.

Points from Briege Corkery, Mackey and Cotter pushed them three clear, and they were foiled of a certain goal by the save-of-the-match from Síle Nic Coitir.

The Cork full-forward, Amy O'Connor, set off on a blistering run, leaving everybody behind in a cloud of dust.

She arrowed in her strike which Nic Coitir did well to block. But not only that. Sile managed to then scoop the sliotar off the line and to safety.

Yet Dublin's hopes of salvaging a draw ended with late points from White and Cotter.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News