Monday 20 November 2017

Danny Morrissey is the boy for the Rebels

Bray Wanderers 0 Cork City 1

John Dunleavy
John Dunleavy

A man called Morrissey was on song for Cork City.

And at the end of a poor season for their (male) GAA sides, Cork's sports fans are likely to decamp to Dublin en masse next month for an FAI Cup final date with Dundalk, Cork squeezing past Bray Wanderers in yesterday's semi-final where Danny Morrissey's 60th minute goal was the difference between the sides.

It wasn't a great semi-final but it has teed up a great final on November 8, Cork relieved to be back on that big stage.

"It's great for us, eight years since we were in a Cup final and we've never been to the Aviva. It's the final that everyone wants, from our point of view it's whether we can go and give Dundalk a game on the day," said Cork boss John Caulfield.

"There could be a phenomenal crowd on the day as interest will be huge, for us it was about getting to the final. We're 31 years in existence but have only won the Cup twice. You look at Shamrock Rovers, it's 1987 since they last won it, Pats waited 60 years so a lot of top teams don't win the Cup that easily. And to have the opportunity to go to the Aviva is massive for the club and the supporters."

Just like Longford Town in the first semi-final against Dundalk on Friday, Bray knew they were not just the underdogs but also the unwanted side, as most neutrals (and RTE and the FAI beancounters) preferred a Cork-Dundalk final next month.

But Mick Cooke's side seemed to revel in that status, and but for a stunning save from Cork keeper Mark McNulty late on, these sides would have been heading for a replay next Monday.

Early on, Cork enjoyed most of the possession but did little with it as Bray stood firm. Cork finally got that goal on the hour mark, a fine finish from Morrissey after Buckley flicked the ball into his path. Morrissey suffered for the goal as he picked up a hamstring injury and was unable to continue. His replacement, John O'Flynn, almost scored a second for City, his backward header tipped over by Cherrie on 71 minutes.

Bray did come up with a late rally, sub Emeka Onwubiko testing McNulty with three minutes to go, and in added time Onwubiko was wide with a shot, so the final whistle greeted with relief by the large away support.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News