herald

Friday 24 November 2017

Youth faces stabbing trial

A TEENAGER accused of intimidating a man he allegedly stabbed during a burglary has been further remanded in custody.

At the Dublin Children's Court yesterday, Judge Aingeal Ni Chonduin remanded the youth in custody until June 1 when he is to be served with a book of evidence and returned for trial.

The court has heard that the boy (17) and two co-defendants allegedly broke into a man's home and assaulted him with a knife, scissors and a pickaxe handle.

The teenager had been charged earlier with burglary while in possession of a knife, on December 17 as well as violent disorder, criminal damage and assault causing harm in connection with the incident.



Pole awaits rape sentence

A Polish man is to be sentenced at the Central Criminal Court for burglary and the oral rape of a woman.

The man, who can not be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to the oral rape of the woman, burglary and trespass with a knife with intent to commit robbery at a Dublin apartment complex in March 2009.

Mr Justice Paul Carney registered the man as a sex offender, ordered a victim impact report and set a sentence date in June.



Teen denies street attack

A TEENAGER who denies taking part in a street mugging was remanded on bail yesterday pending his trial.

The 16-year-old pleaded not guilty at the Children's Court to robbery of the man on Dublin's Amiens Street on February 2 last.

Garda Lorna Healy told Judge Heather Perrin it was alleged the boy and another youth had approached the man from either side as he was using his mobile phone.

"The other male distracted him," she said, adding that the teen then grabbed the phone.

The man received a blow to his eye and chased the pair but stopped when they started shouting at him, it was alleged.

He was remanded to appear again next month.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News