Friday 17 November 2017

Young man with head injury fights for life after brawl

It is understood he underwent an emergency operation to relieve pressure on the brain
It is understood he underwent an emergency operation to relieve pressure on the brain

A young man is fighting for his life with serious head injuries after a night of violence in Galway city.

The 22-year-old suffered "devastating" injuries in a vicious assault involving a group of up to eight people - one of a number of unrelated incidents in a 90-minute period in the city yesterday morning.

It remains unclear what provoked the attack, which occurred outside a fast-food restaurant on Shop Street.

A group of youths, all of similar age, became involved in an altercation near the fast-food outlet.


In the ensuing brawl, the victim was viciously assaulted and fell to the ground, hitting his head off concrete. After the attack, a number of individuals fled the scene.

As the injured man lay motionless, he was comforted by a number of people who had gathered at the scene.

However, he was unconscious when gardai and ambulance teams arrived, at approximately 3.30am yesterday morning.

The victim, who is believed to be from the city, was then rushed to University Hospital Galway, where his condition was described last night as "touch and go."

It is understood he underwent an emergency operation to relieve pressure on the brain.

The scene was preserved for a technical examination, and gardai are appealing for anyone who may have been in Shop Street between 3.20am and 3.40am, to contact them.

Shop Street, the main retail thoroughfare in the city, is also a mecca for tourists.

Meanwhile, gardai are investigating a number of other incidents in the city, including anti-social behaviour, a stabbing, and a robbery, all between the hours of 2am and 3am in the same area.

At approximately 2.15am, a 38-year-old man reported to gardai he had been threatened by a man with a knife on the Headford Road.

Soon after, gardai received a call that two men in their twenties had been robbed at a corner on the road, and also threatened at knife-point.

Two mobile phones and a wallet were stolen in that incident.


The two men reported that the suspect had left the scene in the direction of Wood Quay.

Gardai were then made aware of an 18-year-old man who had been stabbed in the stomach.

The stabbing occurred in the Wood Quay area at 2.30am, approximately 15 minutes after gardai received the first call.

The victim was taken to University College Hospital where his condition is described as non life threatening.

A man fitting the description of the suspect was arrested at 3am, and was detained under the terms of the Criminal Justice Act.

Gardai are appealing for witnesses to contact Galway Garda station on 091 538000, where an incident room has been set up.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News