herald

Friday 24 January 2020

'Young lad is lucky to be alive', say gardai after horror machete attack

Gardai are investigating the attack at Thorndale Walk, Artane, in which a teenager lost a finger
Gardai are investigating the attack at Thorndale Walk, Artane, in which a teenager lost a finger

Detectives believe a teenager was slashed and stabbed with a machete before having a finger chopped off in a vicious gang attack.

The 18-year-old victim is "lucky to be alive" following the horrific assault in Artane on Thursday.

He suffered multiple injuries to his face, torso and hands, while one of his fingers was cut off.

The thugs involved also videoed parts of the assault in which the teen can be seen bloodied and confused with slash wounds to his face and clothing.

Turf

One of the thugs can also be seen on the recording hitting the victim in the face with a large object as he tries to cover his face.

Sources told the Herald the victim has not yet made a statement to gardai and that efforts are continuing to identify those involved.

"Up to 20 people were in the area at the time in what app-ears to be a turf fight between two groups," a source told the Herald.

"Indications are that it is young people from the locality involved, but gardai are still in the process of identifying them.

"This young lad is very lucky to be alive, given the injuries he suffered."

The victim, who is an Irish national with a Polish background, needed emergency surgery on his horrific injuries to his hands as medics battled to reattach the severed finger.

Gardai recovered a metal pole and other items at the scene of the attack, which happened at Thorndale Walk, Artane, at 8.40pm on Thursday.

"This laneway where the incident occurred runs between Thorndale Estate and St David's Sports Grounds in the Artane area of Dublin," a garda spokesman said.

"It is believed that up to 20 youths from the area carried out this attack, all of whom fled in the direction of the Rockfield Park area between 8pm and 9pm on Thursday evening.

Camera

"We appeal to anyone who was in the vicinity with any information about this attack, or persons who may have witnessed or heard any disturbances in this area, to contact garda.

"We wish to appeal to road users with camera footage, or anyone who may have video footage of the incident from social media sources, to come forward.

"Members of the public are urged to contact Clontarf Garda Station on 01 6664800 or the Garda Confidential line on 180066611."

According to data released by the Central Statistics Office last month, assaults were up 9pc nationwide to 13,777, while the more serious "assaults causing harm" showed a 6pc increase to 4,759 between September 2018 and the end of last September.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News