| 10.6°C Dublin

You promised to deliver the Savita report, Dr Reilly, . . . so where is it?

HEALTH Minister James Reilly still does not know when the report into the controversial death of Savita Halappanavar's death will be published.

The startling admission comes despite earlier assurances from him that the report would be made public as soon as possible.

Last month – 35 days ago – the Herald published exclusive details of the draft report into the death of Ms Halappanavar, who died at Galway University Hospital on October 21 last year.

She was three months pregnant and was admitted complaining of backache, but died a week later from a massive infection.

One of the key findings of the report concluded that Ms Halappanavar's request for an abortion should have been considered days before her death.

An investigation was duly set up by Dr Reilly, who directed the HSE to investigate the circumstances leading up to her death. At the time of the Herald's exclusive report on February 13, Dr Reilly said the report would be finalised within the next 10 days.

However, since then, its publications has been delayed to allow all parties a chance to reply to allegations and conclusions. Yesterday, Dr Reilly expressed frustration at delays in finalising the report.

"I have to say I would have expected it by now, but there have been issues about it, legal issues," he revealed at the National Healthcare Conference in Dublin.

He said that as soon as he got it, he wanted Mr Halappanavar to get it as well and to make any observations on it before it was published.

Savita's husband, Praveen, was not interviewed, at his request, but the inquiry team referred to an account he gave on national television.


Savita (31), a dentist, died after being diagnosed with sepsis which progressed to septic shock. She was admitted to the hospital a week earlier and told she would suffer a miscarriage but the infection was not diagnosed for a number of days.

The draft report into Savita's death uncovered a litany of failures, including how tests showing possible blood infection were never followed up by staff.

Doctors were often too busy with other patients to deal immediately with the mum-to-be, whose condition grew progressively worse, the draft report found.