| 14°C Dublin

Woman held over gang gun murder suspected of being getaway driver


The scene where John Gibson was gunned down in 2017.

The scene where John Gibson was gunned down in 2017.

The scene where John Gibson was gunned down in 2017.

A 23-year-old woman questioned by gardai over a feud-related gangland murder is suspected of acting as the gunman's getaway driver, the Herald can reveal.

She was arrested and quizzed over the murder of Dubliner John Gibson (28) in 2017, before being released late last night.

The young woman, from the Glenshane area of Tallaght, is one of three suspects who have been questioned this week about the fatal shooting of Gibson in Fortunestown Lane on the night of September 18, 2017.


A 22-year-old Tallaght man, who was arrested over the murder on Monday morning, was released without charge at around the same time that the female suspect was being detained on Tuesday.

Yesterday afternoon, gardai announced that a third person - a 29-year-old man - had also been arrested by Tallaght garda.

He has previously been arrested over football hooliganism offences.

"The female suspect was questioned about whether she was the getaway driver for this murder," a senior source told the Herald.

"It is highly unusual for a woman to act as a getaway driver for a gang-related murder in Ireland, but that is what is being looked at here.

"This is a major investigation and analysis of mobile phone traffic, as well as the fact that the shooting was caught on CCTV, has aided gardai."

The woman was questioned at Tallaght Garda Station before being released without charge last night.

She has no previous convictions and was previously unknown to officers for involvement in gangland crime.

The 29-year-old former football hooligan has a number of previous criminal convictions but none for serious offences.

All three suspects live in the Tallaght area and sources say gardai are confident of a breakthrough in the case.

Detectives are satisfied that fitness instructor Gibson was lured to his death after receiving a phone call and that the killing was one of four linked to a Clondalkin drugs feud.

"What seems to be a factor in this case is that the Clondalkin gang used people from Tallaght who have very little serious criminal pedigree to carry out what was a very well-planned murder," the senior source added.

Dad-of-two Gibson's murder was the fourth in the Clondalkin feud and officers have been investigating if he was targeted after swearing revenge for the murder of his pal Darragh Nugent (36).

He was shot dead in Wheatfield Avenue, Neilstown, almost exactly a week before Gibson was slain.

Both Gibson and his older pal were closely linked to jailed Clondalkin hitman James 'Nellie' Walsh who is serving a lengthy term for firearms offences.

Detectives believe that the murders of Nugent and Gibson were carried out by a west Dublin crime group intent on "wiping out" Walsh's gang.

The gang suspected of murdering Nugent and Gibson is linked to the deadly Kinahan cartel and is considered west Dublin's biggest drug supplier, but it fell into conflict with Walsh around seven years ago.

Gibson, from Lucan, was riddled with bullets during his horrific execution near Eddie Rocket's restaurant at Citywest Shopping Centre.


He was sitting in his car when he was shot at point-blank range.

He managed to clamber out of the vehicle in a desperate attempt to escape but was gunned down.

Months after the fatal shooting, gardai investigated whether associates of the gang suspected of being behind it sent online threats and abuse to a close female associate of Gibson, but there were no arrests in relation to that.

At his funeral, Gibson's family called for an end to the "barbaric murders" in Dublin's gangland wars.

"We are asking as John's family to end these barbaric murders so no other mother has to wake up to the nightmare every morning and wonder how she will get through it all," a female relative said.