Friday 24 November 2017

Woman denies shooting man in the head outside city centre flats complex

Forensic gardai at the scene of Kieran Farrelly's murder
Forensic gardai at the scene of Kieran Farrelly's murder

A young woman accused of murdering a man who was shot dead outside a Dublin flats complex told gardai she "didn't kill" him.

Laura Dempsey (25) made the response when she was charged with murdering Kieran Farrelly (33), a court heard.

She was remanded in custody for a week after she was arrested and brought before Dublin District Court yesterday.

Mr Farrelly was fatally shot in the head and body in the north inner city last October.


Judge Patrick Clyne adjourned Ms Dempsey's case for the preparation of a book of evidence.

Ms Dempsey, of no fixed address, remained silent during the brief hearing yesterday afternoon.

She is charged with murdering Mr Farrelly at Killarney Court, Killarney Street, near Portland Row on October 26, 2014.

Detective Garda Kevin Keys said in evidence he arrested Ms Dempsey at Bolton Street at 10am and brought her to Mountjoy Garda Station, where she was charged with the murder of Mr Farrelly.

"In reply after caution, she said: 'I didn't kill Kieran Farrelly'," Det Gda Keys told Judge Clyne.

The court heard she was handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Det Gda Keys applied to have the defendant remanded in custody for a week.

Ms Dempsey's solicitor, Alan Doyle, made no bail application on her behalf as bail can only be granted in the High Court on a murder charge.

Judge Clyne granted free legal aid in the case and at Mr Doyle's request, he also directed that the defendant receive medical attention while in custody.

Ms Dempsey, wearing a black leather jacket, black leggings and blue and white runners, consulted Mr Doyle before her case was adjourned.

She is due to appear in Dublin District Court again on October 28.

Following the shooting last year, the area outside the flats complex was sealed off for a full forensic examination by garda technical experts and the State pathologist attended the scene.

A post-mortem examination found that Mr Farrelly, who was originally from Tallaght, died from gunshot injuries.

To date, two other people - a man and a woman - have been arrested in connection with Mr Farrelly's death.

They were released without charge pending a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News