Sunday 26 January 2020

'We will never give up hope of finding Trevor', insists sister, 19 years after he went missing

Trevor Deely
Trevor Deely

The heartbroken parents of Trevor Deely have said they will never give up praying that their missing son is still alive and will one day be reunited with them.

Yesterday, at their home in Naas, Co Kildare Michael and Ann Deely yesterday marked the 19th anniversary of the last sighting of 22-year-old bank worker Trevor, the youngest of their four children.

The family suffered a major setback two years ago when their hopes of finally getting a breakthrough in their search for Trevor were crushed after an extensive garda-led dig in Dublin came to nothing.

Trevor's sister, Michele, said the blow was particularly devastating to her father, admitting: "It almost broke him and set him back."


Michele paid tribute to her devoutly religious father's unwavering faith, which she said had given him the strength to cope with the never-ending nightmare of not knowing where his son is.

"It's been another frustrating year for our family. People come forward all the time, but the gardai will only contact us if they have something concrete," the 45-year-old mother-of-two said.

Michele, who joined other family members for a special prayer service for Trevor on Friday night, also spoke of her parents' heartache and admitted that the past two years have been particularly challenging.

"My father is heartbroken. He'd been doing so well up to the time of the dig in 2017," she said.

"It was a time of great hope for us, but nothing was found there. That nearly broke him. It really set him back.

"It's his faith that has got him through this. My parents will never let go of that, or their hope of seeing Trevor again."

Trevor’s sister, Michele
Trevor’s sister, Michele

As one of the most high-profile missing persons cases, the image of Trevor and his disappearance in the early hours of December 8, 2000, remain etched in many people's memories.

He was captured on CCTV walking down Haddington Road towards his flat in Ballsbridge at 4.14am.

A cold case review was begun by gardai in December 2015, and it included a great deal of evidence being gathered and witnesses re-interviewed.


A fresh appeal was issued in April 2017, with gardai releasing digitally-enhanced VHS footage from the night of Trevor's disappearance.

On Saturday, gardai at Pearse Street Garda Station made a renewed appeal, saying that "even the smallest piece of information, which may seem insignificant, may assist the investigation".

Trevor Deely on CCTV the night he disappeared
Trevor Deely on CCTV the night he disappeared

Trevor was described as six-foot-one, of slim build, with short red-brown hair and fair complexion.

He was wearing a mustard and brown checked shirt, beige-grey corduroy flared trousers, dark deck shoes with white stripes and a green padded jacket.

He was carrying a large dark blue umbrella with white ACC Bank lettering.

The weather was very wet that night and there was a taxi strike on.

Trevor had been at his office Christmas party on the night of his disappearance.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News