Two men held after OAP couple have €9,000 they took from bank stolen
Two men have been charged after an elderly couple were targeted by thieves, who stole €9,000 they had just withdrawn from a bank.
Paul Fay (30) and Kastriot Boza (44) appeared in court charged with burglary following an incident in which the couple, in their 80s, allegedly had the cash taken at their home after they returned from the bank.
A court heard the money was stolen after two men showed up in a car outside the couple's north Dublin home.
Mr Fay and Mr Boza, who both denied the charges when they were put to them, were refused bail following garda objections.
Judge Anthony Halpin remanded them in custody until Wednesday.
Mr Fay, from Scribblestown Close, Ratoath Road, Finglas, and Mr Boza, of no fixed address, are charged with burglary at Coolatree Road, Beaumont, on June 28.
Dublin District Court heard both accused were arrested at the Coachman's Inn on the Old Airport Road at 12.45pm yesterday and were taken to Clontarf Garda Station.
Mr Fay's reply to the charge after caution was: "I didn't enter anyone's house", while Mr Boza said: "Did not commit any crime."
Objecting to bail, Garda Manus Keane said an alleged victim was seen on CCTV withdrawing a sum of money from Ulster Bank, Old Airport Road.
According to gardai, a witness saw a vehicle at the home of the alleged victims.
It was alleged that there were two men in the vehicle and that Mr Fay was the driver.
Gda Keane said Mr Fay was arrested coming from the vehicle and was found to be in possession of the keys.
He added that €3,000 was still outstanding and it was believed that Mr Fay might have access to this cash.
Mr Fay was contesting the charge and enjoys a presumption of innocence, his barrister said, applying for bail.
In relation to Mr Boza, the garda said it was alleged a man matching his description was seen exiting a vehicle a number of doors down from the couple's home.
He was seen re-entering the vehicle, it was alleged.
"There is €3,000 outstanding and I suspect Mr Boza may have control of that cash," said Gda Keane.
Mr Boza had been in Ireland for 19 years, was an Irish citizen and only had €150 on him when arrested, his barrister Rory Staines said.
Mr Staines said Mr Boza was currently homeless and did not have anywhere to put any money that was alleged to have been stolen.
Judge Halpin said that, while both accused have a presumption of innocence, the garda had made out a case for refusal of bail.
The judge remanded the accused in custody, to appear at Cloverhill District Court on July 5.