Saturday 16 December 2017

Two hurt by violent passenger at airport

ATTACK: Man hits out at staff at security screening

A violent passenger was arrested at Dublin Airport after he injured two staff members in the security screening area.

The two Airport Search Unit (ASU) workers required medical attention after the abusive passenger tried to break through security last Wednesday morning.

The male passenger, who was due to fly out to Warsaw later that morning, tried to force his way through the hand luggage checking area but he became extremely violent when he was stopped by workers.


A spokesperson for Dublin Airport Authority confirmed: "A male passenger became abusive and violent when passing through the security screening area on Wednesday.

"Two of our security search unit colleagues required medical attention but were not hospitalised."

The staff members, who receive training to deal with difficult or abusive passengers, acted quickly and airport police were called.

The man was subsequently arrested and handed over to the gardai by Dublin airport police.

Airport sources said the man was "under the influence of a substance".

"The guy just got abusive and violent in the area, pushing his way forward. Two people needed medical attention but there weren't any broken wrists or anything. Things like that happen from time to time," the source added.

Other passengers at Dublin airport were not in any danger, and no flights were delayed, the DAA spokesperson said.

"They handled the incident very well, and there were no difficulties." Siptu representatives were not available for comment today.

Meanwhile, gardai said a female passenger was arrested following an incident in the airport on Tuesday.

A garda spokesperson said: "A female was charged in Blanchardstown District Court on for assault following an incident at 8.30pm on the 28th and was remanded in custody."

Meanwhile, on September 13, the crew of a Garda Air Support Unit helicopter was targeted by thugs wielding a potentially blinding laser after officers were sent to investigate an earlier incident involving an airplane that had just taken off from Dublin Airport.

Air traffic controllers at Dublin Airport contacted gardai after the crew of a Ryanair flight to Liverpool reported that a laser was being pointed at the cockpit of their airplane shortly after take-off.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News