| 14.6°C Dublin

Two concert-goers dead in suspected drug overdoses

THE 20-year-old west Dublin man who died of a suspected drugs overdose at Saturday's chaotic concert in the Phoenix Park has been named as Lee Scanlon, from Clonsilla.

The young man's remains were identified by his heartbroken father at around midnight after gardai issued an appeal for information.

Mr Scanlon, from the Sorrel Heath estate in Clonsilla, took ill at the concert on Saturday night before dying at Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown.

It is understood that the young man had no identification on him and had given gardai a different name, meaning that officers initially struggled to identify him.

Another young man who had attended the concert earlier in the evening died in hospital after he attended a house party in Lucan.

Tragic Shane Brophy (21) from Crettyard, Co Laois, died five hours after attending the concert.

He was rushed to Blanchardstown Hospital after collapsing at a friend's house in Lucan, but sadly doctors were unable to save him.

His brother Ronan rushed to his hospital bedside, but didn't make it in time to say goodbye.

He said: "I got a phone call at 3am today that Shane was back in the house in Lucan and was having difficulties.

"He was staying in Lucan with friends after the concert, they phoned the ambulance and then they phoned me because I live in Dublin.

"I went straight to the hospital, but when I got there it was too late.

"Shane was still technically alive when I got there, he had a slight pulse, but he slipped deeper into a coma and passed away.

"We can't confirm that his death was caused by drugs at the moment, we have to wait for the results of the postmortem, but yes, we believe there was drugs involved.

"My parents were in Spain when they heard, they flew straight back.

"There are five boys in the family, there were five boys, and three girls."

Ronan revealed that tragic Shane hadn't even planned to be in the country on the night he died.

He said: "Shane had been in America for two weeks, he just came back last Monday, and he was supposed to fly out to Spain for our mam's 60th birthday.

"Somehow in between coming out of passport control and getting into my car at Dublin airport he managed to lose his passport, so he couldn't go to Spain. If that hadn't happened, he'd be here."

Gardai say that a third man who died of a suspected heroin overdose in a pub in Clonee, west Dublin, on Saturday night was a drug addict who had not attended the concert earlier.

"I can confirm that this man was not at the concert," said a source.

Gardai were forced to deal with "thousands" of revellers who were "off their heads on drugs" at the event.

"We have information that PMA was being used at the event. It is very dangerous because it is a slow release drug leading to users taking much more of it than they should," said a source.

hnews@herald.ie