| 2.8°C Dublin

Troubled teen 'laughed' as he fled stab scene


Troubled teen 'laughed' as he fled stab scene

Troubled teen 'laughed' as he fled stab scene

Troubled teen 'laughed' as he fled stab scene

A TROUBLED teenage boy, who laughed after he stabbed a young man and left him for dead, has been remanded on bail pending sentence.

The youth, who is in his mid-teens and cannot be identified because he is a juvenile, pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court yesterday to assaulting a male causing him serious harm earlier this year.

The teenager, who has been diagnosed as having mental health issues, also pleaded guilty to a connected charge for production of a knife capable of inflicting serious injury.

The assault offence can carry a life sentence in the Circuit Court, which is where the DPP had recommended the boy should be tried due to the seriousness of the attack.

However after hearing details of the offence as well as legal submissions and noting comprehensive medical reports on victim's injuries and the defendant's mental health problems, Judge John O'Connor accepted jurisdiction for the case to be dealt with in the Children's Court which can impose a maximum two-year sentence.


The boy's sentencing has been adjourned until January to allow time for a probation report to be furnished to the court.

In evidence Garda Sergeant Declan Boland told Judge O'Connor that the incident happened at a house in Dublin earlier this year. The victim, a young man aged 18, who is related to the boy, had been watching TV when the defendant arrived and a "verbal argument erupted".

The court heard the boy, "produced a flick-knife" and stabbed the victim once to the left hand side of his chest and then left the scene.

The victim, who was left on his own in the house, made his way to the kitchen to use the land-line to call for help but became too weak and "fell to the floor".

"Thankfully, he had his mobile phone and rang 999 and was able to summon medical assistance," said Gda Sgt Boland.

The young man was rushed to hospital where emergency surgery was carried out and "repaired a severed artery to his heart and a lung injury". He was in intensive care for 48 hours and remained in hospital for a further four days.

In his statement the injured man said that the defendant laughed as he fled the scene.