Thursday 18 January 2018

Tributes are paid to Leaving teen Jamie who died after party

Jamie Woods (left, in glasses) - the Leaving Cert student from Navan, Meath who died on Monday morning 06/06/16 [crop out other person]
Jamie Woods (left, in glasses) - the Leaving Cert student from Navan, Meath who died on Monday morning 06/06/16 [crop out other person]

Tributes have been paid to a teenager who died only two days before he was due to begin his Leaving Cert examinations today.

Jamie Woods (17), died following a house party in Navan, Co Meath, in the early hours of Monday.

He was expected to sit the first of his Leaving Cert exams this morning, along with thousands of other students around the country.

Deputy Mayor of Meath County Council Wayne Forde described the incident as a "terrible tragedy" for the local area and expressed his condolences to the teenager's family.

"The community is in absolute shock over what has happened. Jamie was a young student who had his whole life ahead of him," Mr Forde told the Herald.


"My sympathies of course go out to the family, and the people of Navan are rallying around them. They are understandably distraught."

A family friend described Jamie as an "intelligent" young student who had planned to attend college.

"Jamie was such a good kid, he had his whole life mapped out, he was doing his Leaving Cert this week and then had planned to go to college in Cavan," they said.

"Jamie was a bright, intelligent lad who it seems was enjoying his last night out with friends before knuckling down to his exams."

Jamie had attended a party in the Claremont Estate on Sunday night before returning to a relative's home.

When he arrived there he complained of feeling ill before lapsing into unconsciousness in the early hours of Monday.

He was taken by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, Co Louth, where he died a short time later.

Friends of Jamie also took to social media to pay tribute to the student who was described as having "a heart of gold".

"Can't believe you're gone ... it won't be the same without you around," wrote one friend, while another said: "I've never been so shocked before in my life. I've never seen the chap without a smile on his face."

Gardai are investigating the circumstances ­surrounding the death. ­However, it is not being treated as suspicious.

A garda spokesman said: "Gardai are investigating the death of a 17-year-old who was found at a house on Slane Road on Monday morning.

"He was taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda where he subsequently passed away.

"A file is now being prepared under the Coroner's Act."

A post mortem examination was carried out last night, and gardai are awaiting the results of a toxicology report.

The teenager's funeral will take place over the weekend in Navan.

His body will be reposed at his home both tomorrow and Friday, before his funeral mass in St Oliver's Church, Blackcastle, Navan. His remains will then be taken to Rathmore cemetery in Athboy for burial.

He is survived by his parents, Mark and Sandra, and three siblings.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News