Tickets to see Pope held back as too many planning on travelling by car
Organisers of the papal visit have delayed issuing tickets over concerns about the number of people travelling to the event by car.
Tens of thousands of people are still planning on driving to the once-in-a-generation event despite the repeated warnings about lack of capacity for traffic and parking.
Free public transport is to be offered to all attendees at the closing Mass of the World Meeting of Families in the Phoenix Park on August 26.
Organisers have appealed for people to use this public transport where possible. Pope Francis is expected to address crowds of around 500,000 in the park.
The size of the crowd and security arrangements necessary mean there is a significant logistical challenge for organisers.
Tickets were due to be issued on July 31 but this has now been pushed back to August 10, organisers said in an email to attendees.
"We had planned to email all tickets by July 31, but we were unable to do so due to the large number of people who have indicated to us that they intend to travel to the event by car," they said.
"The available infrastructure in Dublin cannot cater for all those who have indicated that they are coming by car.
"We have delayed the issue of tickets to August 10, so we can finalise the colour coded routes based on the information we have received about where those attending are coming from."
People planning to travel by bus or train have also been urged to book their tickets well in advance, as many people have still to book their seats.
Gardai previously warned that those who insist on driving to see Pope Francis in the Phoenix Park could find themselves turned back at the M50.