| 10°C Dublin

Thug arrested in Hutch kill plot jailed for seven years over three city burglaries


Daniel Delaney was sentenced for a string of burglaries

Daniel Delaney was sentenced for a string of burglaries

Daniel Delaney was sentenced for a string of burglaries

A 26-year-old north inner city criminal who was arrested last year over a suspected plot to murder The Monk's nephew Jonathan Hutch was jailed yesterday for seven years for three separate offences.

Daniel Delaney, of Mariner's Port, Sheriff Street, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to burglary at Clonsilla Inn, Clonsilla, on January 8, 2017.

He also pleaded guilty to burglary at Siam Thai, Malahide, on May 21, 2017, and to burglary at Monkstown Rugby Club on September 20, 2017.

Delaney is one of a number of dangerous north inner city criminals who have aligned themselves with the Kinahan cartel.


He was arrested in the early hours of last March 14 near Gorey, Co Wexford, with another Kinahan-aligned north inner city criminal - a feared 28-year-old thug - in an intelligence-led operation into the ongoing Hutch-Kinahan feud.

Gardai from Enniscorthy backed up by members of the Armed Response Units from the southern and eastern regions arrested Delaney in what they believe was an imminent hit on Hutch.

It is understood Hutch had been hiding out in a property in the north Co Wexford village of Kilmuckridge in the weeks before armed gardai made their arrests.

One of the men was caught in a field at Millands, Gorey, at 12.45am after being seen leaving a car nearby.

A subsequent search of the vehicle yielded two firearms and ammunition.

The other man was arrested nearby in a follow-up search.

Delaney and his pal were released without charge after being questioned for several days at Enniscorthy and Gorey Garda Stations.

However, Delaney now faces being behind bars for at least five years after yesterday's sentencing hearing.

Delaney has 128 previous convictions, including for burglary, robbery and theft.

The court heard yesterday that he has come to further garda attention since committing his most recent offences.

Judge Elma Sheahan sentenced him to three-and-a-half years' imprisonment for the earliest burglary, one-and-a-half years for the second and three years for the third, to run consecutively.

The judge suspended the final 12 months of the eight-year total sentence on condition that Delaney keep the peace and be of good behaviour for a per- iod of two years on his release.

The court heard that while on bail for the burglary at Clonsilla Inn, Delaney burgled a Chinese restaurant in Malahide and €3,000 worth of alcohol was stolen.

He committed another burglary, at Monkstown Rugby Club, while on bail for the previous offences, during which €7,690 worth of damage was done to the premises.

Judge Sheahan said the fact that two of the burglaries had been committed while on bail demonstrated "absolutely no regard for the rule of law".

She said bail ought not to be viewed as an opportunity to commit further burglaries.


The judge added that the fact Delaney had done nothing to hide himself from CCTV only indicated the "brazen nature" of his criminality.

Judge Sheahan said the aggravating factors were the seriousness of the offending, the fact that he was on bail when he committed two burglaries and his previous convictions for similar offending.

She said the mitigating factors were his plea of guilty, having a very young child and the fact that he had been a "positive contributor to society" from 2014 until 2017.

Among Delaney's most serious past convictions was a four-year sentence he received in July 2002 for the violent robbery of a taxi driver in which a mobile phone, wallet and cash were taken at Lisburn Street on October 13, 2011.