Wednesday 16 January 2019

Thompson to stay in custody for two more weeks on murder rap

Freddie Thompson and Daniel Kinahan
Freddie Thompson and Daniel Kinahan

The man charged with the murder of David 'Daithi' Douglas, who was shot dead on a Dublin street in July, has been further remanded in custody.

Frederick 'Freddie' Thompson (35), of Loreto Road, Maryland, Dublin, was arrested on Tuesday last week and detained at Kilmainham Garda Station.


He was charged on Saturday and remanded in custody after a brief hearing at Dublin District Court on Monday morning.

Mr Douglas (55), of Killala Road, Cabra, north Dublin, was shot in Bridgefoot Street on the afternoon of July 1.

The father-of-one was standing in the doorway of a shop owned by his wife, Yumei, when he was approached and shot several times. He suffered a number of gunshot wounds and died soon after being taken to St James's Hospital.

David Daithi Douglas
David Daithi Douglas

Mr Thompson faced his second hearing yesterday when he appeared via video-link before Judge William Hamill at Cloverhill District Court.

Dressed in a green T-shirt and a black zip-up top, he spoke briefly to confirm his name.

Garda Detective Inspector Paul Cleary, of Kevin Street Garda Station, applied to the court to remand Mr Thompson in custody for another two weeks.

Defence solicitor John Quinn said there was consent to an adjournment of no longer than two weeks. Mr Thompson was further remanded in custody to appear on November 25.

At his first hearing on Monday, Det Insp Cleary said Mr Thompson was charged at 6.30pm on Saturday at Kilmainham Garda Station. "In reply to the charge after caution he said 'no comment'," he said.

Mr Thompson has been granted free legal aid. Bail cannot be considered by the district court in murder cases and he will have to make an application to the High Court. A book of evidence has yet to be completed and served on Mr Thompson, who has not yet entered a plea.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News