| 13.9°C Dublin

Terror as second driver is carjacked in less than 24 hours

AN armed carjacking has happened in broad daylight in a north Dublin suburb for the second time in less than 23 hours. The latest attack happened when a man was forced out of his Mitsubishi Lancer car by a man with a handgun.

It occurred outside the Clearwater Shopping Centre at 2.55pm yesterday when the man was approached by a man with a firearm.

Gardai say the attacker -- who was wearing a white boiler suit and had an orange scarf over his face -- threatened the victim with the gun and forced him out of his car.

The attacker then jumped into the car and sped off on the N2.

The car was found abandoned a short distance away by armed detectives who had been alerted to the situation.


The victim -- a man from Glasnevin was uninjured in the incident but is said to be deeply traumatised.

Sources say that gardai have identified the suspect -- a Finglas criminal -- but have not yet arrested him.

The carjacking came just a day after a businessman was dragged out of his top-of-the-range silver Audi A5 coupe at the nearby Finglas Business Park on the Tolka Valley Road.


A gun was pointed in the man's face and he was threatened before being dumped on to the ground.

Two criminals -- who are believed to be in their 20s -- sped off in his car which was found undamaged around half an hour later in nearby Fairlawn Park.

The hold-up sparked a major garda manhunt with armed units deployed as well as the garda helicopter.

Neither carjacking incident is thought to be linked and officers are hopeful that both cases will be solved.

Yesterday's incident at Clearwater is the second armed incident at the shopping centre in less than a week.

Investigations are continuing into the armed robbery of the Tesco filling station in Clearwater Shopping Centre in the early hours of Sunday morning. A sum of just over €200 was stolen in that incident after a thug armed with a handgun entered the filling station and then threatened staff with a firearm. After taking the cash, the masked suspect simply rode away from the scene on a pushbike.