herald

Monday 22 January 2018

Teenager charged with killing Japanese man deemed unfit for court

Mohamed Morei was ‘not fit to attend’ a hearing yesterday. Photo: Colin Keegan/Collins Agency
Mohamed Morei was ‘not fit to attend’ a hearing yesterday. Photo: Colin Keegan/Collins Agency

A teenager charged with the murder of a Japanese man in a stabbing in Dundalk last week was "not fit to attend" a court hearing yesterday.

Mohamed Morei (18), who was remanded in custody last week after he was charged with the murder of 24-year-old Yosuke Sasaki, is being treated in the Central Mental Hospital (CMH) in Dublin, Judge Victor Blake was told.

Mr Sasaki was fatally stabbed on Avenue Road shortly before 9am on January 3.

The victim, from Ebina, west of Tokyo, worked at National Pen, a call centre in Dundalk, and had lived in Ireland for the past year.

Following his death, an Irish man was injured when he was stabbed a short time later on Coes Road, also Dundalk.

Gardai received a report at 9.40am that another local man had been injured in an attack with a fence pole in Seatown Place.

Mr Morei was remanded in custody by Dundalk District Court on January 4 after he was charged with the murder of Mr Sasaki.

Vigil

Gda Insp Martin Beggy told that hearing there was an issue with the defendant's nationality, which was undetermined at present.

A bail application will have to be made in the High Court because Mr Morei is facing a murder charge.

About 1,500 people crowded into Dundalk town centre earlier this week for a candlelit vigil to remember Mr Sasaki.

A fundraising drive in Ireland has also been launched to cover the costs of his repatriation.

Mr Morei was due to face his second hearing at Cloverhill District Court yesterday.

However, when the case was called, Judge Blake was informed that he was not able to attend.

Defence counsel Aoife O'Halloran told the court that it was her understanding that Mr Morei "was not fit to attend".

Judge Blake said he had been given a letter from a forensic psychiatrist at the CMH saying he was unfit to attend the hearing.

It was the doctor's opinion that Mr Morei would also be unfit to be brought to court in two weeks' time, the judge added.

He further remanded the accused in custody in his absence and adjourned the case until January 25, when the case will be listed for mention.

He also asked for an updated letter from the doctor and his team.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News