Teen who broke girl's nose on the run abroad
GUILTY: Warrant out for 'snow blow' attacker
A YOUTH awaiting sentence for breaking a 15-year-old girl's nose during a row in Dublin's Temple Bar, has fled to England to "make a fresh start", a court heard yesterday.
The 16-year-old boy, who lashed out and left the girl disfigured, had been abusing a formerly legal head shop drug known as "snow blow" at the time.
He had pleaded guilty in July at the Dublin Children's Court to assault causing harm to the girl, at the Central Bank Plaza, in Temple Bar, on the evening of January 22.
The case had been adjourned until yesterday for sentencing -- however the teenager was not present when his name was called.
Defence solicitor Adrian Lennon said he has not been contacted by his client and added that he would write to him to explain the consequences of not coming to his court.
Garda Erin Lee told Judge Elizabeth MacGrath she was applying for a bench warrant.
"I believe he has gone to England, perhaps trying to make a fresh start," she said.
Judge MacGrath issued the warrant, which allows him to be arrested if he returns to the State.
She said contact should be made with him to explain "it is going to be hanging over his head if he does not deal with it".
Earlier, at the boy's hearing, which he attended on July 14 last, Garda Lee said a row broke out among a group of about 20 teenage girls and boys.
"He punched the injured party in the face, she sustained a broken nose," she had said.
The girl, who has been left with a "lump on the bridge of her nose", had gone to the area to meet a friend who was known to the defendant.
Mr Lennon had said his client became involved after his friend got into a row. The north Dublin boy fled the scene and "kept running until he got to Phibsborough when he realised what he did".
The court had also been told that the boy, who had no prior criminal convictions, was well cared for by his parents, was in education and involved in sports.