Teen held over fatal stabbing of schoolboy Azzam seeks bail
A 16-year-old boy, remanded in custody after being charged with the fatal stabbing of Azzam Raguragui in a Dublin park last month, is to seek bail.
Student Azzam (18), who was due to sit his Leaving Certificate this summer, was stabbed during a row at Finsbury Park, Dundrum, on May 10.
He was treated at the scene by paramedics before being rushed to St James's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A murder investigation was launched and, last week, gardai at Dundrum Garda Station charged the teenage boy with murder.
He was remanded in custody to the Oberstown detention centre on May 29 after his first hearing in Dublin Children's Court.
The boy, who cannot be named because of his age, faced his second appearance before the same court yesterday.
He was accompanied by his father and remained silent.
The boy has not yet indicated how he will plead.
His solicitor Jonathan Dunphy told Judge Conal Gibbons the boy was still in custody, but said his mother had completed an affidavit for the purpose of a bail application in the High Court next Tuesday.
Judge Gibbons said that due to the nature of the charge, he had no jurisdiction in relation to bail. Det Sgt John White said the most suitable option would be for a two-week remand in custody.
Judge Gibbons agreed to make that order, but said the High Court could intervene in the meantime.
The boy will face his next hearing at the Children's Court on June 19.
At his first hearing, Det Sgt White told the court: "He made no reply to the charge after caution and was given a true copy of the charge sheet in the presence of his father."
Hundreds of people attended Azzam's funeral at Clonskeagh mosque on May 17.
He had been a student at De La Salle boys' school before attending Ballinteer Community School for his fifth and sixth year.
His father Abdurrahman and mother Hajoba are from Morocco and came to Ireland in the late 1990s.