Teen has until June to avoid detention
A 10-month sentence is hanging over a youth for his part in the gang robbery of a man who was beaten to the ground and left concussed in Dublin's Temple Bar.
The victim was attacked and robbed after he refused to hand over his wallet and phone.
His attacker, who remains on bail, has been given a deferred 10-month detention sentence, which may be activated in June unless he has co-operated with probation terms.
The 17-year-old pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to the attack at 12.10am on September 24, 2016, in Fownes Street, after the man was chased from the Central Bank Plaza.
Garda Ciaran O'Mahoney told the court the victim had cuts and bruises to his arms, legs and face, and was bleeding.
His Samsung phone and wallet, containing his Leap card and €10, had been taken.
Gda O'Mahoney agreed with defence solicitor Aonghus McCarthy that the boy "was highly intoxicated and agitated" and "clearly under the influence of a large concoction of substances".
He said the victim still had mental injuries.
"Last time I spoke to him, he was still worried about going into town," he added, but accepted that the teen has since "turned his life around" after he began living with a friend's family and abstained from drugs.
Judge John O'Connor adjourned the case until a date in June, when the court will have the options of imposing the sentence, reducing it or imposing a community sanction appropriate to the defendant's age.