Teen charged with having sword at Dail
AN unemployed teenager accused of carrying a sword in the front yard of Leinster House has had new charges brought against him.
Jordan Buckley (19) had been charged with possession of a weapon.
The prosecution has now withdrawn that count and brought three new charges against him, including one of trespassing with a weapon.
Mr Buckley was remanded on continuing bail at Dublin District Court to a date next month to decide how he intends to plead to the charges.
It was his fourth court appearance since last April. The court was previously told he had "no particular target in mind" and was allegedly "caught red handed".
Mr Buckley, with an address at Kells Road, Crumlin, is now charged with trespassing with an offensive weapon at Leinster House on April 29. He is also charged with trespassing with intent to cause fear, and resisting arrest.
Garda Dwayne Conlon told the court the defendant made no reply after caution when the three charges were put to him.
A state solicitor said the DPP was directing summary disposal of all charges at District Court level.
Outlining the case, Garda Conlon said it was alleged the defendant entered the environs of Leinster House in possession of a sword.
The house was not sitting on the day but members of the Dail and the public were present, he said.
Judge Michael Walsh accepted jurisdiction to deal with the case. This means it can be heard in the district court instead of being sent for jury trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Defence Solicitor Paul Hannon asked for disclosure of prosecution documents and exhibits, including CCTV evidence.
Judge Walsh made the order, granted free legal aid on the new charges and adjourned the case to October 22. Mr Buckley, wearing a green jumper and blue jeans, did not address the court during the proceedings. He was remanded on bail.
This was previously granted on condition that the accused stays away from all Government buildings and departments "save for social welfare".