herald

Friday 17 August 2018

Teen charged over assault

A TEENAGER left a 67-year-old man with serious facial injuries during an attack and threatened a garda with a hatchet over a two-day period, a court heard.

The boy (16) has been charged at the Children's Court with assault causing harm to the man in north Dublin on December 20 last.

He also faces charges of possessing a hatchet as a weapon and breach of the peace on the previous date. The boy had been refused bail.

He pleaded not guilty to separate charges of possessing a knife, possessing stolen property and resisting arrest.



Boy asks to be kept in custody

A boy who failed to deal with his drug problem has opted to stay in custody.

The 17-year-old was remanded in custody at the Dublin Children's Court after he pleaded guilty to trespassing at an abandoned flat in north Dublin on August 21 last. Gardai had received reports of youths "throwing bottles at flats" and the boy was found in an abandoned flat "hiding in the kitchen".

Defence solicitor Gareth Noble told the court his client was also awaiting sentence for separate drug offences. "He is asking to be remanded in custody to St Patrick's Institution," Mr Noble had said.



Crack down on street gangs

The US Justice Department said 41 street gang members were arrested in five cities in an effort aimed at crushing violent criminal activity.

Federal criminal charges target seven members of the Click Clack gang in Kansas City, 12 Colonias Chiques gang members in Los Angeles, two members and associates of the Sureno13 and San Chucos gangs in Las Vegas, seven MS-13 members in Washington, DC and 13 Tri-City Bombers members and associates in McAllen, Texas.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News