Monday 22 January 2018

Teen charged as Irishman fights for life in attack

The scene outside the bar, inset, Stevie Donegan
The scene outside the bar, inset, Stevie Donegan
The police outside the Walkabout bar in Liverpool bar
Steven 'Stevie' Donegan (24) from Shanballymore, Co Cork

A 19-year-old man was remanded to appear in court in Liverpool today following a vicious assault on an Irishman in the city.

The Irish victim, aged 24, has been left fighting for his life following the attack in the early hours of Saturday.

The clubber, Stevie Donegan, from Shanballymore in north Cork, was found with a head injury in an alleyway in the centre of Liverpool at approximately 2am on Saturday morning.

He was discovered in the lane between the Walkabout Bar and the Level nightclub. He was receiving treatment today in intensive care at the Walton Centre NHS foundation at the Royal Livedrpool University Hospital. He was listed in critical condition at the unit which specialises in head injuries.

Merseyside police stated today that Kyle Harley (19) of Seymour Street, Wirral, has been charged with assault and was remanded to appear in court today.

Police believe that the Irish man, who Liverpool police aren’t naming, was assaulted following an altercation with two males earlier in the night.

Two teenagers, both aged 19, presented themselves to local police yesterday following the incident.

They were subsequently arrested on suspicion of assault. One man was charged and the other was released without charge. Police were interested in talking to three women who were in the area at the time and who may provide “vital information” in relation to the assault.

“Having viewed CCTV from the area we would also urge three women who were in the vicinity of the alleyway at this time to also get in touch as

we believe they will have information vital to our investigation,” Detective Inspector Matthew Kerr stated.

The footage is believed to show the victim being led down the alleyway moments before being seriously assaulted.

He described the incident as a “nasty attack” on the young Cork native, who had simply been trying to “enjoy a night out”.

“He sustained serious injuries as a result of the attack and is currently in a critical condition in hospital,” he said.

“An investigation into the full circumstances of the incident is ongoing,” he added.

It is not known if the victim was over in the city to attend the Liverpool versus Blackburn Rovers match yesterday afternoon, or whether he had been working there.

“I’d also like to reassure people that incidents like this are rare and neighbourhood officers will be increasing patrols in the area,” Mr Kerr said.

It is understood that the man is currently being treated at the Walton Centre NHS foundation at the Royal Liverpool Hospital which specialises in head injuries.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News