Tuesday 12 December 2017

Taxi driver sends his condolences as hijacker laid to rest

Mourners carry the coffin of Daniel Lynch. Photo: Caroline Quinn
Mourners carry the coffin of Daniel Lynch. Photo: Caroline Quinn

THE family of a young man who died in a hijacked car thanked the taxi driver for offering his condolences ahead of his funeral today.

Dad-to-be Daniel Lynch (23) was remembered as a young man who loved music and "had so much energy inside him".

The Ringsend man died after he was involved in stealing a car last Monday morning.

He travelled just 700 metres in the car before it smashed into a bridge along North Wall Quay in the city.

At his funeral mass today, his Uncle John told mourners that hijack victim Matthew Ilori contacted the Lynch family after the tragedy. He thanked Mr Ilori for offering his "condolences and prayers".



Daniel Lynch's friend, Anthony, said he loved his music and had "so much energy inside him". "I've never seen anything like him in my life," he said.

He was speaking as gifts were brought up to the altar in memory of "Danny", including gym gloves, a trophy and a CD.

Anthony said Danny loved going to the gym and football.

Danny's sister Linda read out a poem during the service written by the dead man's mother, Patricia. In it, she spoke of the "sad day" when Daniel died.


She also said that his life was cut short at just 23 years of age, but he will live on in memory. She said: "Life will not be the same without you. God has taken you to heaven. Goodbye my son, rest in peace Danny."

Father Ivan Tonge, who celebrated the Mass, said everyone feels "hardship and pain".

The second man who died in the crash, Dylan Lacey (21), was also remembered during the mass.

His funeral will take place in Ringsend tomorrow.

The sole survivor of the Dublin taxi hijack crash attended today's funeral. John McAuley (19) was one of three Ringsend men in the car after it was taken from its owner in the Docklands area in the early hours of Monday morning.

McAuley was rushed to the Mater Hospital after the crash, but received only minor injuries including glass cuts to his eyes.

McAuley's grandmother Betty told the Herald that John was still traumatised by what happened, but said he would be well enough to attend the funerals.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News