herald

Monday 20 November 2017

Tallaght Hospital hasn't even advertised for boss

TALLAGHT Hospital has still not advertised for a new chief executive -- three months after its CEO-designate quit.

The hospital has moved to install an acting CEO but calls have now been made for a permanent appointment to be made.

The Herald revealed in early July that Professor Kevin Conlon had stunned the hospital's board by tendering his resignation before even taking up the new job.

Sources at the hospital have now informed this paper that a new CEO may not be hired until next year.

"It could be as late as next spring," said a source.

The hospital is still reeling from revelations in March that 58,000 X-rays of adult patients -- taken between 2005 and the end of 2009 --were not reviewed by a consultant radiologist.

Patients are still awaiting the publication of a report by Maurice Hayes into the debacle.

Today, former member of the Adelaide and Meath Hospital board, Charlie O'Connor, said the hospital should be doing "everything possible" to try to restore public confidence, including the speedy selection of a CEO.

"I think there is a common demand that the CEO will be at the hospital for a long period.

"The best person should be found and it must be someone who understands Irish hospitals," the Fianna Fail TD said.

A spokesperson for the hospital said John O'Connell had been appointed acting chief executive pending the advertisement and filling of the position. Last month, Tallaght was listed at the bottom of the latest performance league tables for hospitals.

kdoyle@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News