herald

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Suspect set to be cleared over Michaela death

THE Michaela McAreavey murder investigation has taken a new twist as the fifth man charged is set to be cleared.

Police in Mauritius now believe that security guard Seenarain Mungoo (39) may be innocent after his colleague Dassen Naraynen changed his statement.

The two former colleagues were due to meet face to face in a confrontation set up by detectives. Mr Naraynen earlier told a court in Mapou that his colleague had supplied the key which was used to enter Michaela's room.

But just hours before the two security men were to be put through the stand-off, he admitted that his statement was false.

Mr Naraynen (26) said that he did not tell the truth because his lawyer was absent and he would be making a fresh statement to the police later today.

The two men have been remanded in custody.

Sources have said it is expected there will be additional arrests within the next few days.

Michaela (27) was tragically killed while on honeymoon with her new husband John McAreavey.

She was strangled when she interrupted a robbery attempt at her room in the Legends Hotel.

The suspects charged are due to appear in court on January 26.

Police are keen to press ahead with another scheduled face to face meeting with the other hotel workers, Avinash Treebhoowoon (29) and Sandip Mooneea (41) along with further interviewing of room attendant Raj Theekoy (33).

The MCIT (Major Crime Investigation Team) will tell them what each has accused the other of, and hope that it will uncover the truth about what happened on the fateful day.

So far, only Treebhoowoon has admitted any involvement in the murder.

clairemurphy@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News