Saturday 16 December 2017

Suspect re-arrested over brutal knife attack on solicitor

Members of the gardai at the scene where a 44-year-old was stabbed in Donaghmede Park, Dublin
Members of the gardai at the scene where a 44-year-old was stabbed in Donaghmede Park, Dublin

Gardai have re-arrested the chief suspect for ordering the savage attempted murder of solicitor Violet Quigley at her north Dublin home over three years ago.

The 39-year-old, who is well known to Ms Quigley (47), is suspected of paying a cash-strapped heroin addict to carry out the brutal attack in April, 2011.

He was still being questioned at Coolock garda station last night after detectives gathered more information on the case since his previous arrest, three months after the attack.


The Dublin man, who has few previous criminal convictions, has been a long-term target for gardai since the brutal knife attack on Ms Quigley.

The solicitor sustained multiple stab wounds to her legs, stomach, arms and side, as well as head injuries, in the attack.

This criminal who carried out the vicious knife assault is believed to be a heroin addict from Dublin's north inner city, hired by the man who was arrested early yesterday morning.

Investigators believe that the arrested man decided to have Ms Quigley murdered for personal reasons.

It is believed that she was targeted because of a financial dispute in what is one of the most sinister cases that gardai have come across in recent times.

Ms Quigley lost a huge amount of blood during the assault by the masked man, who was wielding a knife and a claw hammer, at around midnight on April 8, 2011.

Neighbours heard her screams and rushed to her aid, saving her life.

She was rushed to Beaumont Hospital where she was left in a critical condition and was on a life support machine for over 24 hours.

She survived the frenzied attack, but only after receiving 25 pints of blood in transfusions.

One neighbour who ran into the house said that the bedroom was like an "abattoir".

"There was a phenomenal amount of blood," she said. "Violet was saying: 'Why would he do this to me'?"

Just one day before the attack, the lawyer's laptop was stolen from her home and Ms Quigley rang her parents who pleaded with her to stay with them, but she declined.

Ms Quigley, who worked in the ESB's legal section, was described by friends as "a lovely, very private lady".

Apart from the suspect arrested yesterday, another man was previously arrested in May of last year but was later released without charge.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News