herald

Friday 15 December 2017

Surgery for dog who swallowed 80 stones

A dog had to undergo emergency surgery after eating up to 80 pieces of gravel in her garden.

The seven-year-old Jack Russell terrier, pictured, was barely able to move after feasting on the stones and refused food for 24 hours.

Star's unusual behaviour prompted owner Tracy McCaul to take her to the vet.

Staff at the PDSA pet hospital in Blackpool, UK, could feel a "crunchy material" in Star's tummy and an X-ray confirmed the dog had eaten gravel.

Tracy (49) from Fleetwood, said: "I was very shocked when PDSA told me she had swallowed so many stones, I didn't think it was possible."

Jennifer Jackson, PDSA senior vet, said: "Star's condition was very worrying – she could hardly stand and was extremely dehydrated. When we saw the X-rays we couldn't believe how many stones she had swallowed. We had to carry out emergency surgery to remove the stones, and thankfully she has gone on to make a full recovery."

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News