herald

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Student wants YouTube boss jailed over taxi clip

FIGHT: McKeogh prepares to sue after video put back up

A STUDENT falsely accused of taxi fare evasion in an internet video is to seek High Court permission to bring a contempt of court action against YouTube after the clip was put up again on the web.

Eoin McKeogh (22), a DCU student, is also to seek leave of the court to have attachment and committal to prison proceedings brought against YouTube's chief Salar Kamangar over his company's alleged failure to obey an order not to republish the allegedly defamatory material.

Mr McKeogh obtained injunctions against YouTube, Google, Facebook and a number of other sites and usernames to prevent republication of the video, which shows people leaving a taxi without paying the fare.

He also unsuccessfully brought an action to prevent six newspapers from naming him following reports of a court hearing in which the injunctions against the internet firms was extended.







Posted

However, since that ruling by Mr Justice Michael Peart last weekend in favour of the newspapers, online material about Mr McKeogh had only then started reporting his innocence of the taxi evasion claim, his counsel, Pauline Walley, said yesterday.

The judge said he was satisfied Mr McKeogh was completely innocent.

Ms Walley said there had also been progress in relation to other matters, including identifying one of the 'John Doe' usernames who had allegedly edited the video and posted the defamatory comments .

Ms Walley said it could be inferred from a letter written by this person that he had posted the material, but she was not going to name him because that would be the kind of thing that had been done to her client.

Ms Walley said Yahoo and website CrowdGather were to be lauded for removing links to the video and injunctions against them were vacated. The judge also agreed to a request from Ms Walley for an order to allow Vodafone to release computer records in relation to information by Facebook on which a fake profile had been put up but later taken down.

Ms Walley said the offending video has been put again on YouTube and she herself had accessed it yesterday. This was clearly a breach of the court's earlier order and she would be applying for contempt orders against the company and committal orders against the chief executive. The case was adjourned until February 9.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News