'Steph suffered extreme trauma' - Buncrana pier tragedy hero defends ex
The man who saved a baby during the Buncrana pier tragedy has denied criticising his former partner after she began legal proceedings arising out of the incident.
A British website attributed quotes to Davitt Walsh that were critical of Stephanie Knox.
It emerged this week that Ms Knox, a cardiac physiologist, issued legal proceedings for "loss of earnings and other matters" following the tragedy off Buncrana pier in March 2016 in which five people died.
"I wish to make a public statement," Mr Walsh said on his Facebook account.
"Firstly, I have the utmost respect for Stephanie Knox. Stephanie has suffered extreme trauma since the tragic events of that day in Buncrana.
"Secondly, I have not given an interview to any newspaper or media source.
"I have been wrongly misquoted, I strongly refute anything that has been printed in my name. I have moved on with my life since that day, in the best way that I can.
"Please respect my privacy."
Five members of the same family died in the tragedy. They were Sean McGrotty, his sons Mark (11) and eight-year-old Evan, his mother-in-law Ruth Daniels and her teenage daughter Jodie-Lee Tracey.
The incident happened when Mr McGrotty's Audi Q7 SUV slid on algae and slipped into the sea at Lough Swilly on March 20, 2016. Mr Walsh, with his then girlfriend Ms Knox, had come on the scene and he swam out.
Mr McGrotty had handed the baby out through the window he smashed with his elbow and Mr Walsh had a grip on the hand of one of the young boys.
"Save the baby, save my baby," Mr McGrotty had said to him.
However, the water was gushing into the car "like a wave" and the child seemed to be stuck on something.
"I had to let go," Mr Walsh told the inquest later.
The baby, four-month-old Rioghnach-Ann, was the sole survivor.
Speaking earlier this week, Ms Knox said she did not realise the McGrotty estate would be included in the legal proceedings, and she had received a number of abusive messages since the matter became public.
Lawyers acting on her behalf initiated a personal injuries suit in the High Court earlier this month.
The action is against Donegal County Council, which owns the pier, and the solicitor acting as executor to the estate of Sean McGrotty.
Louise James, who lost her partner, Mr McGrotty, two sons, a sister and her mother in the tragedy, has also sued both the council and the estate.
A post-mortem examination found Mr McGrotty was more than three times the legal drink-driving limit when the accident happened.
An inquest found the victims died from drowning and it was a case of death by misadventure.