Stalker striker Stokes must not contact ex or her mum for four years
Ex-Ireland soccer star Anthony Stokes has been given an eight-month deferred sentence for stalking his ex-partner.
The former Celtic player, from Dublin, has also been ordered to stay away from his ex and her mother.
A court in Scotland yesterday heard that the forward recognises his behaviour toward the pair was "horrendous".
Sheriff Alasdair MacFadyen nevertheless warned the player he was concerned about his attitude toward the "abusive" conduct.
For this reason, he also imposed four-year non-harassment orders, meaning Stokes must not contact the two women for four years, apart from when arranging contact with the two-year-old son he has with his ex.
Stokes (31), who currently plays for Turkish side Adana Demirspor, pleaded guilty at a previous hearing to stalking Eilidh Scott and her mother, May Scott, between July 2018 and February this year.
The court previously heard he sent 100 messages a day and also turned up at May Scott's home in Shotts, Lanarkshire, late at night when Eilidh Scott was staying there.
Michael Gallen, lawyer for Stokes, told the Hamilton Sheriff Court: "He recognises his behaviour, which he quite rightly describes as being horrendous, will have impacted on both the ladies in question."
He said a social worker assessed the footballer as having a low risk of reoffending.
Morag McLintock, prosecuting, said: "The complainer is very much of the view that the relationship is at an end and that she does not wish a relationship with the accused."
Sheriff MacFadyen said: "This was a prolonged period of abusive behaviour towards your ex-partner and, also for a period, her mother.
"It is quite unacceptable behaviour and I have to say I am concerned by your attitude towards the offence. I do think there is a suggestion of minimisation in your attitude towards the offence.
"I think some form of control is appropriate in this case."
He deferred sentence until May 9, 2020, for Stokes to be of good behaviour and for a further social work report.
Stokes is also being investigated for an alleged assault in Dublin earlier this year.
A complaint was made to gardai in Pearse Street that the footballer headbutted another man in a Temple Bar pub.
The victim of the alleged incident, a 23-year-old man from England, was knocked unconscious, according to sources.
In February 2017, Stokes was given a two-year suspended sentence for headbutting a man in his 50s, a former Elvis impersonator, in a Dublin nightclub in 2013.