Friday 24 November 2017

Son released from padded cell hours before dad's killing

THE 29-year-old Dublin man quizzed by gardai about the murder of his father had been released from Mountjoy jail the day before the killing.

The suspect was being held in a padded cell until last Thursday, but was granted temporary release on Friday.

Eddie Boylan (Junior) was returned into the general prison population on Thursday last after a psychiatric assessment.

On Friday he was given temporary release because of overcrowding at the jail.

He was arrested on Sunday morning in connection with the murder of his 74-year-old father also, called Eddie, on the previous day, at a Dublin city housing complex at Ravensdale Close.


Yesterday after his period of detention for questioning ended, he was returned by gardai from Crumlin station to Mountjoy.

"He breached the terms of his Temporary Release and was immediately returned to jail" said an investigating officer.

His father was stabbed to death with a large knife before his home was set alight.

Emergency services discovered his body when they went to tackle the blaze.

Prison sources revealed that Eddie Boylan (jnr) had been isolated in a padded cell "for his own safety and that of others". " He was in a padded cell up until Thursday because he had been out of control," a source told the Herald.

"To say we were surprised that he was on Temporary Release is an under- statement," the senior officer added.

"Apparently he was assessed and released from the cell."

A file is currently being prepared by gardai for consideration by the DPP.

The victim had been stabbed in the chest with a large knife which was still at the scene.

In the follow-up investigation, detectives located CCTV footage of a man buying Zippo lighter fluid an hour before the murder in a nearby shop.

Eddie Boylan junior, who had an address at Leighllin Road Crumlin, has a drug problem and was serving a prison sentence for a knife-related incident.

He was also jailed for stealing an 82-year-old hospital patient's wallet as he lay on an A&E trolley awaiting treatment.

Dublin District Court heard in November 2010 that Boylan helped himself to the €250 from the man's jacket at St James's Hospital.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News