Wednesday 16 January 2019

'So?' - evil rapist Murray dismisses residents' fears as he prowls the streets near UCD

Rapist Michael Murray out on the streets
Rapist Michael Murray out on the streets
Michael Murray sunbathing in the grounds of UCD in June 2015
Michael Murray entering the grounds of UCD in June 2015

Convicted serial rapist Michael Murray has been spotted out strolling through the leafy suburbs of Donnybrook and Mount Merrion in Dublin 4 - a short distance from UCD.

The evil sex offender, considered by gardai to be as dangerous as fellow rapist Larry Murphy, shrugged off the concerns of female students, who are worried about Murray prowling around the grounds of the college, when their fears were put to him by the Herald.

His presence is causing concern among people using the UCD campus in Belfield, as he walks the grounds on a regular basis.

Some that know him contacted the Herald to express their unease at his presence in the area - but also to alert others, who have no idea of his sick past or just how dangerous he is regarded as being.

Murray (57) takes early morning walks in UCD near the lake and the entrance beside the Stillorgan dual carriageway.

On the morning we caught up with him, Murray walked down the Stillorgan Road, into Nutley Park, out onto Nutley Lane, and then into Nutley Road.

When told that people had contacted this newspaper to express concerns for their safety in his presence, Murray replied: "So?"

When asked if he could understand why people would consider him a potential threat, he said: "Well look at what ye print in the papers."

Murray looked fit, healthy and strong, and was casually dressed, wearing jeans and trainers, a pale blue polo shirt and a dark quilted jacket with a zip front.

He now has a beard and wears glasses.


Murray was jailed in 1996 for raping four women and sexually assaulting two others in South Dublin during a six-day reign of terror in September 1995.

The Central Criminal Court heard Murray carried out the attacks between September 18 and 23.

At his trial, two of his victims told the court they thought they were going to die.

His first rapes took place in Dalkey, Killiney and Monks-town, but he then began to move out of the area.

His next victim was in Rathmines, where he attacked and stabbed a girl.

After days of surveillance, he was seen returning to his mother's house and was arrested.

Murray was eventually sentenced to 18 years, but with standard remission he served only 13.

Eighteen months before his rape conviction, Murray received a four-month sentence for indecently exposing himself to a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy after walking into the back garden of a house in Dun Laoghaire.

After his release from that sentence, Murray returned to the house in Sallynoggin where he lived with his mother. Senior detectives expressed major concerns when he was once again free to prowl the streets after his release from jail in 2009.

One officer with extensive knowledge of Murray told the Herald that he was "equally as dangerous" as notorious fellow rapist Murphy.

Like Murphy, Murray refused to take part in any rehabilitation programmes during his jail term.

In June 2010, he went to the High Court to complain about media coverage of him, but the court refused to grant him an injunction preventing newspapers from publishing his address and pictures of him.


Murray said in his affidavit that he had attended a psychologist while in Wheatfield and Castlerea prisons, and had stopped using drugs and alcohol.

He also said he engaged with the probation service before and after his release and obtained its help in getting accommodation.

He is now believed to still be living in an apartment near UCD, where he has complained about student neighbours having parties.

The Herald previously reported how Murray left neighbours feeling threatened and intimidated.

Students living in a southside apartment complex were left terrified after Murray began "banging down doors" to complain over noise.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News