'Significant interest' in RTE redundancy plan
RTE will next week close its voluntary exit and early retirement schemes to employees.
The national broadcaster is aiming to cut up to 300 jobs with the schemes.
A source told the Herald there has been "significant interest" in the restructuring of the company and how it will impact on the more than 1,900 staff at RTE.
Management sources said there were a lot of employees "asking numerous questions and seriously considering their futures".
October 10 has been confirmed as the deadline, according to a spokesperson for RTE.
The schemes are expected to cost at least €25m in severance pay and target two divisions of employees in terms of length of service.
"Similar to such schemes in the past, there will probably be the last-minute applications as the deadline looms in October," the source said.
The schemes were announced five weeks ago, following a lengthy meeting between staff, management and director general Dee Forbes.
Staff from all departments are being targeted in the latest round of cutbacks, with those over 55 and primarily-permanent employees across operations divisions being seen as the most likely to take up the redundancy.
Those who have been employed by RTE for more than 10 years are being offered four weeks of pay per year of service, along with two weeks' statutory redundancy pay, capped at two years' salary.
Staff who have worked up to 10 years at the Montrose campus have been offered two weeks of pay per year, along with statutory entitlement.
Booklets explaining the schemes were also posted out to all staff.
The exit and early retirement schemes have come about as a result of the ongoing haemorrhaging of money at RTE, along with the backdrop of €20m losses last year.
Nine acres of land around the Montrose campus were sold off in July for €107.5m.
A €1.5m purpose-built creche, opened eight years ago on the west side of the campus, will be demolished once a new facility is opened this month.
The new creche, which will accommodate up to 80 children, is in its final stages and is located at the back of Montrose House, a protected structure.
Work on the new access route into the campus from the Stillorgan dual carriageway is also to start once the children have been relocated. Trees have already been removed to accommodate the new entrance.
The sports and social club building, opened in the early 1980s, is also to be knocked down in the coming weeks.
A new club is planned for another area on the Montrose campus.
The new entrance will replace the existing entrance on Nutley Lane, which will "alleviate congestion at the Nutley Lane/Stillorgan Road junction and enhance traffic safety", according to RTE.