Friday 15 December 2017

Sex attacker (19) beat woman who tried to help victim

Reilly (Glen): Jailed for two and a half years for sex assault, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, 19-3-2015
Reilly (Glen): Jailed for two and a half years for sex assault, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, 19-3-2015

A 19-year-old man who sexually assaulted a woman and attacked another woman who came to her rescue has received a five-year prison sentence.

Glen Reilly of Owensilla, Ballymun, Dublin, had pleaded guilty at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to sexually assaulting one woman and assaulting another causing her harm in north Dublin on October 12, 2012.

Judge Martin Nolan suspended the last two and a half years of the sentence on condition that he follow the instructions of the Probation Services and be under post-release supervision for two years.

The judge noted that Reilly had no memory of the attacks. He said that he suffered a serious brain injury around this time and that he had been drinking on the night.

A probation report had also stated that Reilly was a high risk in relation to sexual offending and violence against women.

At a previous hearing Garda Colm McElligot had told Martina Baxter BL, prosecuting, that both attacks took place shortly before 5am on the date in question.

A mother-of-one had told gardai she was walking home from a party when she was attacked 50 yards from her own home.

The 30-year-old woman said a boy who had been following her punched her full force in her face, knocking her to the ground.


He punched her face and temples repeatedly, said he had a knife, and put his hand over her mouth, causing her to struggle to breathe. The woman was screaming and in fear of her life.

She said the attacker tried to take off her clothes and his own when a neighbour heard her screams and came to her aid.

The second victim told gardai she saw a man lying on top of a girl and ran out of her house to drag him off. The man then punched this woman and hit her with a beer can before running away.

Victim impact reports for the two women showed they suffered bruises, cuts and swelling to the face and body.

When arrested, the teenager said he had taken alcohol and drugs that night and had been assaulted by two men.

Diarmaid McGuinness SC, defending, said the accused suffered a fractured skull, scalp lacerations and bleeding to the brain and had spent 11 days in Beaumont Hospital and underwent surgery on his face.

Mr McGuinness said doctors were concerned that head injuries could have caused his client's amnesia.

The court heard that the teenager has attended drugs counselling but has since acquired two minor convictions.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News