| 8.6°C Dublin

Security guard head-butted teen, then called him a 'baby'


Ciaran Byrne was charged with assault

Ciaran Byrne was charged with assault

Ciaran Byrne was charged with assault

A SECURITY guard at a Dublin city centre car park head-butted a 15-year-old skateboarder in the face and called him a "baby" when he started to cry.

Ciaran Byrne (43) attacked the schoolboy during a dispute about a lost skateboard at the St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre car park, leaving him with "blood all over his face."

Dublin District Court heard he also told the victim his custom-made board had been "crushed" and thrown out, then later claimed this was a joke.

Judge Bryan Smyth found him guilty of assault and adjourned the case.

Byrne, of Pinewood Court, Kilcock, Co Kildare, had denied assault causing harm to the boy at Q Car Park, Mercer Street on December 14 last year.


Byrne had been working at the car park for another security firm. He was dismissed after the incident.

The victim said he had been out skateboarding with friends and went to the car park to shelter from "torrential" rain.

Another security man asked them to leave and on his way out he realised he had forgotten his skateboard. He returned and Byrne told him the board had been crushed and thrown into bins.

The victim said he would report Byrne and the defendant replied that he would get him "done for trespassing".

"He came towards me and headbutted me straight on the nose," the victim said. "He told me to leave straight away. I was scared."

The boy left, tasting blood.

"I went back into the lobby and asked why he did it. He told me to shut up crying and stop being a baby."

Cross-examined by Diana Stuart BL, for the defence, the victim said his skateboard had cost €260 and included parts he won in competitions.

Byrne said he told the victim he did not know where the skateboard was but would call him if it was found.


He claimed the boy was "getting in his face," was agitated and repeatedly threatening "I'm going to f***ing do you."

He eventually "had enough", got into the boy's face and told him to get out.

He admitted their foreheads touched but denied making "hard contact" or that it was enough to "do any damage."

The accused had no previous convictions.