Monday 27 January 2020

Second man charged with Sunset House gun murder

Michael Barr was gunned down in Sunset House
Michael Barr was gunned down in Sunset House

A second man has been charged with the murder of dissident republican Michael Barr, who was shot dead at the Sunset House pub in Dublin three years ago.

UK national David Hunter (41), with an address at Du Cane Road, White City in London, is accused of murder in connection with the fatal shooting of Michael Barr (35) at the Sunset House pub, on Summerhill Parade, in the north inner city on April 25, 2016.

He was one of a number fatalities in a wave of killings in a feud between the Kinahan cartel and Hutch gang. The father-of-five was shot seven times, five times in the head.

Barr, from Co Tyrone, had worked as a manager at the pub.

The accused, Mr Hunter, appeared at a late sitting of Dublin District Court yesterday.

He was arrested by gardai at Baldonnel Aerodrome and then charged before he was brought to appear before Judge John Hughes. The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed that Mr Hunter is to face trial on indictment. Evidence of arrest, charge and caution was given by Garda Colm Kelly. A solicitor stood in to represent the accused at the brief hearing.

Due to the nature of the charge, he could not apply for bail in the district court and an application will have to be brought to the High Court in order to for him to be released pending trial.

He has not yet indicated how he will plead and a book of evidence must be completed by the DPP before he is returned for trial to a higher court.

Judge Hughes remanded him in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court next Wednesday.

Mr Hunter is the second person charged with the murder of Barr.

Last year, Eamon Cumberton (32), of Mountjoy Street, Dublin 7, was jailed for life after he was convicted of the murder at the non-jury Special Criminal Court. Cumberton, who had 37 previous convictions, had denied the charge.

Michael Barr, a dissident republican, from Strabane in Co Tyrone, had lived in Dublin for a number of years. He was given a paramilitary funeral when his remains were brought home to the North for burial.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News