| 10.6°C Dublin

RTE director's PA awarded €15,500 for car smash injuries


Lynn Davis

Lynn Davis


Lynn Davis

A woman who claimed she suffers ongoing back pain after being involved in a car accident two years ago has been awarded €15,500 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Lynn Davis, personal assistant to the RTE director general, told the court yesterday that the accident happened at the junction of Sean Moore Road and Beach Road, Ringsend, as she was driving to work in September 2012.

Ms Davis told her barrister, Oisin Clarke, that she had been waiting at a yield sign to turn left on to Beach Road when her car was hit from behind by a 4x4 driven by Gavin Murray, shunting her forward.

Ms Davis (48), of The Oaks, Ridgewood, Swords, Co Dublin, said she felt pain in her lower back, neck and left shoulder a few days later and went to St Vincent's Hospital where X-rays revealed no bone fracture.

She told Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke that she suffered soft tissue injuries which required physiotherapy sessions. She said her injuries had improved, but she had ongoing back and shoulder pain and needed to take painkillers.


The court heard Ms Davis used to be an avid walker but was now unable to go for long walks due to her back and shoulder pain. She also had difficulties when sitting down for a long time.

Ms Davis sued Mr Murray, of Hampton Wood Green, St Margaret's Road, Dublin, and his employer and owner of the vehicle, Eurosurgical Ltd, with a registered address at Orchard House, Orchard Way, Beaumont Avenue, Churchtown, for negligence.

The court was told that liability had been admitted, and yesterday's case had been brought to assess damages.

Ms Davis denied her back pain had been aggravated by a former injury.

Judge Groarke said he found it extraordinary that Ms Davis had not taken any steps to consult a specialist in order to find out what the ongoing problem was and try to resolve it.

The judge, awarding her €15,525, said he had to assess damages in light of medical reports that stated Ms Davis should have recovered within 18 months.