herald

Thursday 12 December 2019

Ross confirms FAI will not have State funding restored 'in near future'

Sports Minister Shane Ross
Sports Minister Shane Ross

The Government has confirmed that State funding to the FAI will not be restored "in the near future".

In a statement last night, Minister for Transport and Sport Shane Ross said that "on foot of the findings of the KOSI report" into the FAI, the Government would not be reinstating funding to the beleaguered organisation.

Mr Ross said he had been "working closely with Sport Ireland to create alternative mechanisms to deliver much needed support for deserving sports clubs and teams around the country" which could see the FAI sidelined in any bid to access State funds.

"The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross TD, today confirmed that on foot of the findings of the KOSI report, received this week, the Government will not be in a position to reinstate State funding to the FAI in the near future," said a statement issued by his department.

In the statement, Mr Ross added: "More immediately, in tandem with Sport Ireland, we are finalising a proposal to fund the women's national team and players via a trusted independent third party.

"This proposal, which was approved in principle by the board of Sport Ireland last month, will be concluded and agreed in the coming days," it said.

Controversy

Mr Ross's statement came as gardai investigate the findings of the audit of the FAI's finances, which was ordered by Sport Ireland, in the wake of controversy surrounding former chief executive John Delaney's loan to the organisation.

The State's governing body for sport forwarded the report to gardai soon after its completion and it is expected the Garda's national economic crime unit will review its contents to determine if a crime has been committed.

Speaking at Road Safety Authority's launch of the Christmas and New Year road safety appeal, Mr Ross insisted he had not yet seen the KOSI report but that he was "impatient" at the pace of reform.

"I haven't seen the report," he said.

"Sport Ireland have sent it to the gardai. I'm not at liberty now to comment on any investigation that is going on.

"The correct thing has been done, and we must acknowledge that. It's the right thing to do in the circumstances."

The minister stated that his preference was to publish the report in its entirety, but he was unwilling to give an indication of how long that might take.

He also expressed frustration at the pace of the reform process being undertaken by the FAI in the wake of the summer Governance Review Group report.

However, he refused to commit to publishing a redacted version as requested by Noel Rock TD, a member of Fergus O'Dowd's Joint Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport.

"My objective is always to publish everything in full. Of course I want to see it published at the earliest possible date, but I can't have it published if there's a garda investigation going on," he added. "I think what we're seeing here is a progression of moves. I'm impatient with the FAI's progress."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News